370Z Clutch 'tapping/knocking Noise

tomgt4

Hi All, I was wondering what I should do regarding my 370 clutch. I bought the car last weekend privately (12 Reg GT) but didn't notice that when I put my foot on the clutch there is a slight tapping that is infrequent and resonates through the gear stick too. It seems to be worse when I am on a slight incline - I read somewhere that someone had a similar issue. I took it to Nissan in Southampton today and a mechanic said he thinks it could be the teeth that is just inside the casing might have got slightly bend up or down but I'd have to sign something to say I'd fork out for the labour and a new clutch if it turns out to be a worn clutch (car has covered around 18k) The clutch seems fine in every other respect, engages and disengages normally, no slipping or anything. Usual clunky 1st to 2nd gear change etc but nothing out of the ordinary. Do you think I should get it checked by a HPC dealer to double check before I go ahead? This isn't the standard whining bearing issue (although it has got that damned noise with foot off the pedal too which is normal) I'm tempted to sign the bit of paper and tell them to get on with it because the tapping annoys me something terrible! Thanks

Edited by tomgt4

Thanks, might just do that. Closest one to me is Bournemouth I think. Tempted to just get Southampton to do it though as I have been reading more and more about this and seems to either be pressure plate, throwout bearing or DMF (but I doubt it's that). In any case, nothing about it being a worn clutch lining so I'm safe to go ahead as I'm nearly 100% it will be covered under the warranty. Only thing is an HPC dealer will probably have more experience in fitting new clutch.

Mine does this tapping noise/feel.

I find my clutch okay when cold, but after 20 mins of driving, it feels very loose and close to slipping when pulling away. I done a flush of my clutch fluid as it looked low, and it was very black. It helped slightly, but I think there is an underlying problem. After a good blast, it actually feels like it is juddering when pulling away.

A couple of weeks after I got the car, I was hooning around and changed to second gear mid launch/slide. Second didnt engage and the pedal basically stuck down and struggled to come back up. Reading the US forums, most point the finger at the slave cylinder failing.

Its annoying, and takes away some of the enjoyment. The plan is to replace clutch flywheel CSC and possibly the master cylinder if required. But that wont be cheap!!

Edited by ross27

Mine tends to do it quite often, probably slightly worse when everything is warmed up.

I have heard about clutches sticking down etc too. I think that is a different issue to what I'm experiencing though - the clutch is fine other than the tapping which as you say is annoying and does spoil the car slightly for me. Maybe if it got to a bad state it might start doing that though. It definitely doesn't seem like a friction plate issue though which hopefully means I won't be paying for it!

Just a quick update on mine - took it to HPC centre Bournemouth yesterday morning. They were far more helpful, mechanic listened and agreed that it's not normal and shouldn't be doing it. Trouble is the guy that is the expert on high performance isn't in until Tuesday but he's gonna speak to him and let me know what he thinks. Going to order some parts in and it's booked in for the following Tuesday. Even get a Juke Nismo as courtesy car I think. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Update on this:

Took it to Nissan yesterday, left it there all day. Far more helpful at Bournemouth - high performance guy took it out and thinks that it is probably the dual mass flywheel but could be the teeth on the pressure plate so has requested Nissan replace the DMF and put a new clutch in under warranty. Waiting to hear back on if they agree and then they need to order the parts and I'll book it in again. He originally thought it might have been release bearing but has since ruled this out. Bear in mind he hasn't actually taken anything apart yet though!

The Saga Continues...

Phone call from the dealer today, guess what? They will take gearbox and clutch out after I authorise them to do it (pay for it if its the clutch). Apparently Nissan have said look at it first to see what it is, then they might 'possibly' pay for the dual mass flywheel but won't cover the clutch. I mentioned that the clutch pressure plate should be covered but it was his understanding that they will not pay for any part of the clutch. He didn't really sound like he knew what he was talking about. I have now contacted Nissan customer services about what is and isn't covered. If all that is not covered by warranty is the clutch lining then I will just get them to go ahead and take it out as I'm 100% sure it's not the lining.

Also, if it does turn out to be DMF or clutch, how long am I expected to wait for them to order and fit these parts that are normally on 'back order'!?

Right - Decided to bite the bullet and booked it in for Wednesday at my local Nissan dealer to have gearbox and clutch etc. removed. If I have to pay it's gonna be £408 just for the labour (ouch). One thing I've noticed is that if I put it in first gear and then let the clutch out slowly with no gas so the car almost stalls there is a hell of a rattle. This might just be the slack gearbox but certainly makes the tapping worse when I put my foot back on the clutch pedal (fully pressed to the floor)

Tom,

When you are getting this tapping noise, try holding the window up button (even though the window is closed), and let me know what this does to the tapping pattern.

I know this is a very strange thing to notice, but i have found that if you do that with the switch, which is obviously using power and slightly effecting the idle, the tapping goes a little crazy, then calms down again.

Very hard to describe, other that suggesting you give it ago :)

Given the car is still under warranty I'm surprised they are trying to get you to pay for anything. I don't know if I've been lucky thus far with my local nissan dealers but they have fallen over themselves sorting any issue I had out on warranty and sometimes I was being very anal. It is no skin off their nose as it's money they recharge to nissan and the problems got sorted.

You said you have only just bought the car, if so was it a dealer. If so I'd be taking it back to them and asking them to sort it or they can have it back.

Tom,

When you are getting this tapping noise, try holding the window up button (even though the window is closed), and let me know what this does to the tapping pattern.

I know this is a very strange thing to notice, but i have found that if you do that with the switch, which is obviously using power and slightly effecting the idle, the tapping goes a little crazy, then calms down again.

Haha thanks Ross! I will try this out! That's very random! Suppose it just affects the idle and makes it do it worse or something?

Will - I guess it's because it's in the clutch area and they want to cover their backs as some people do wear clutches out quickly. I bought it privately but didn't notice it at the time. To be fair to the guy he didn't either and he's quite interested in the outcome as he's just ordered a new one! He told me he never abused it and mainly drove it on the motorway commuting in top gear cruising. He has no reason to lie so I believe him. The sound seems quite heavy duty as it travels up through the gear stick and pedal. Guess I'll find out in a couple of days!

Tom,

Haha thanks Ross! I will try this out! That's very random! Suppose it just affects the idle and makes it do it worse or something?

Will - I guess it's because it's in the clutch area and they want to cover their backs as some people do wear clutches out quickly. I bought it privately but didn't notice it at the time. To be fair to the guy he didn't either and he's quite interested in the outcome as he's just ordered a new one! He told me he never abused it and mainly drove it on the motorway commuting in top gear cruising. He has no reason to lie so I believe him. The sound seems quite heavy duty as it travels up through the gear stick and pedal. Guess I'll find out in a couple of days!

Let us know as mine has this as well - if it needs sorting wnt to do it before my warranty expires.

I assumed it was normal as my friends 350 does it too...

Hi Brayster...

I was going to update when everything was complete but as you have asked...

They opened it all up, took longer than expected. Rang Nissan Thursday afternoon and they have said the DMF is indeed knackered and has knocked some fragments off the clutch plate so has gone in for warranty claim. Waiting to hear back on it but the guy said he can't see any reason why they would refuse it. Will need new DMF, clutch and bearing etc. If you are having the same symptoms as me I would get yours checked out but be prepared to pay if it's not the flywheel. I could just kinda tell that mine was the flywheel because of the heavy duty tapping noise. You don't want a £2500 - £3000 bill (if you get Nissan to do it) further down the line and if there is a problem then in my opinion it's better to get it sorted.

Hopefully yours is the same and will all be covered :) and here's to hoping I won't run into any problems with my claim!

I will let you know when it's all done etc and will try and get some photos of my damaged DMF and clutch if they'll let me.

Tom

If it's only noisy when the pedal is out then it is probably just the noisy gearbox. They are agricultural on the 370 and the 350. Though the noise shouldn't be accompanied by any vibration as far as I'm aware but hope you get it sorted

Tom

Edited by tomgt4

I think it is a combination of my CSC and Flywheel causing my problems. Looking at getting an HD CSC, Southbend Clutch and SMF flywheel.

Keep us updated on how it feels when you get it back!

Right - Time for another update...

Nissan authorised the warranty claim on Wednesday morning, so the garage ordered the parts. Was told it was all next day delivery... Phone call today:

"sorry sir, clutch is here but flywheel is on 'back order' (whatever that actually means) and Nissan have given us a date of 2 weeks!"

Meanwhile I am without my car which potentially could total nearly a month. No offer of a courtesy car. I don't understand how it can take 2 weeks to get a part from anywhere in the world! I have got Nissan customer services on this so will see what he has to say tomorrow - so far he has been very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car back today! (Hooray) Clutch feels much the same just doesn't have that annoying 'tapping' noise anymore.

One thing I would add is Michael from Nissan Customer Services has been really helpful throughout, so I'd recommend getting in touch with them if you have any problems. He actually sorted a hire car to be delivered to my house and I dropped it back today to the dealers. So thumbs up to Nissan. Plus after all... they did pay for the whole job too which prob was in the region of 2.5K! Thanks for everyone's input.

• Like 1

Got my car back today! (Hooray) Clutch feels much the same just doesn't have that annoying 'tapping' noise anymore.

One thing I would add is Michael from Nissan Customer Services has been really helpful throughout, so I'd recommend getting in touch with them if you have any problems. He actually sorted a hire car to be delivered to my house and I dropped it back today to the dealers. So thumbs up to Nissan. Plus after all... they did pay for the whole job too which prob was in the region of 2.5K! Thanks for everyone's input.

Good news!

Dont suppose you have a contact for this gentleman?