Clutch pedal travel

p4blo32

Hi guys, on my way home tonight I noticed when I press the clutch pedal there is about 1-2 inches of deadzone before the pedal weight starts, the the actual useful travel is now quite small and makes smooth gear changes quite hard. The clutch itself seems to bite at pretty much the top of the weighty travel, but doesn't slip. This only started happening today as far as I can tell.

I also have a suspicion that the DMF is knackered as it knocks gently in neutral, and sometimes the 'box vibrates a fair amount when decelerating from high revs in-gear. Depressing the clutch and letting it out again quickly stops the vibration. I wonder if that is related, although it may be a completely separate issue.

My main concern is the clutch though, has anyone had this happen to them or might know what's wrong?

Edited to add: The pedal returns normally, doesn't feel particularly mushy.

Edited by p4blo32

If you have suddenly got excess movement in the clutch pedal then its either going to be fluid loss or a mechanical problem with the clutch mechanism or the clutch itself, the DMF wont cause excess movement, it will however make noise when taking up drive or on coming off the throttle when in gear.

Thanks guys. Checked fluid at the weekend and it was right up to the max line so all good. Went out for a quick drive and it seemed fine. But today as I pulled into my road it went again, I guessing perhaps air in the system?

Thanks guys. Checked fluid at the weekend and it was right up to the max line so all good. Went out for a quick drive and it seemed fine. But today as I pulled into my road it went again, I guessing perhaps air in the system?

When was it last changed though? Should be every 2-3 years I believe. ;)