Running different brake pads front & back?

mattross1313

Over the coming month I am going to be refurbing the brembo callipers and fitting new pads & fluid at the same time. I know that my front pads need doing, and I might do the rears whilst I am at it. The discs are fine. But the question is around pads.

I do not track the car, but enjoy a good blast through the B roads so would like good brakes for this (obviously). A few friends who track their cars have suggested that I fit something good up front and just fit standard pads on the rear. I was thinking maybe YellowStuff or Black Diamond up front, and just OEM rears (which are also cheaper). Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good plan?

Cheers, Matt

As long as you're happy with adjusting the brake bias, then no reason why not. You should never do it the other way round (i.e. moving the bias rearward), but forwards is fine.

My old PF setup had harsher pads on the front than the rear, simply because PF don't do an 01 compound for the back so I had to use the Z-rated pads. Tbh though, for the relative small sums of money you're talking I'd just run YS all round.

I used to run DS2500's on the front with DBA rotors and Performance Friction Z compound pads on OEM rotors on the back.

The balance worked well.

So as long as you keep the balance of performance similar you should be fine.