Symptoms of a failed Dual Mass Flywheel

Nick350z

As I've recently had both my clutch and DMF changed by the chaps at Japex, I thought I'd do a quick post on the issues I had that led me to getting them changed.

I found that when I depressed the clutch pedal (in neutral) a noticeable difference in engine/transmission noise could be heard. Raising the pedal up would result in 'clonk' noise and the car would very slightly move despite not being in gear.

Pulling away from a standstill could be quite awkward sometimes with a very apparent judder that would go through the whole car. This could be managed by revving the engine and slipping the clutch slightly - but was getting increasingly irritating. This problem was not so apparent in higher gears but lower gear changes would cause both myself and any passenger to lurch forward if not managed.

The clutch would engage almost at the top of the pedal travel.

The car was prone to 'kangarooing' from a standstill if I was not very careful with the clutch pedal. This was especially noticeable from cold. Again feathering the throttle and raising the clutch pedal gently would greatly dampen this effect.

On inspection by Japex the old DMF was in a very bad state and the clutch was almost at the end of it's life so if you're car is suffering symptoms like mine was I'd get it looked at. Since the change it's like driving a different car - so much smoother now and easier to drive.

Hope this helps anyone with similar issues :-)

As I've recently had both my clutch and DMF changed by the chaps at Japex, I thought I'd do a quick post on the issues I had that led me to getting them changed.

I found that when I depressed the clutch pedal (in neutral) a noticeable difference in engine/transmission noise could be heard. Raising the pedal up would result in 'clonk' noise and the car would very slightly move despite not being in gear.

Pulling away from a standstill could be quite awkward sometimes with a very apparent judder that would go through the whole car. This could be managed by revving the engine and slipping the clutch slightly - but was getting increasingly irritating. This problem was not so apparent in higher gears but lower gear changes would cause both myself and any passenger to lurch forward if not managed.

The clutch would engage almost at the top of the pedal travel.

The car was prone to 'kangarooing' from a standstill if I was not very careful with the clutch pedal. This was especially noticeable from cold. Again feathering the throttle and raising the clutch pedal gently would greatly dampen this effect.

On inspection by Japex the old DMF was in a very bad state and the clutch was almost at the end of it's life so if you're car is suffering symptoms like mine was I'd get it looked at. Since the change it's like driving a different car - so much smoother now and easier to drive.

Hope this helps anyone with similar issues :-)

Thanks for the heads up.. Top man Ross at Japex. :thumbs:

I wish i hadn't read that, mine has a few of those issues, I changed the slave cylinder and fluid to try and resolve the juddering but it didn't help.

Looks like it could be new clutch and lightweight flywheel time for me then.

I wish i hadn't read that, mine has a few of those issues, I changed the slave cylinder and fluid to try and resolve the juddering but it didn't help.

Looks like it could be new clutch and lightweight flywheel time for me then.

Same for me. I was thinking maybe I had just gotten into bad habits but sounds like new clutch and flywheel for me...

Sorry guys - I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news! Thing is I had tried to research it a bit but wasn't coming up with a huge amount and thought my experiences may assist someone else as I had taken a bit of a gamble on it being the flywheel that was causing the issues. It's definitely worth getting it done if funds permit as it has transformed the way the car drives, sounds and feels.

Sorry guys - I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news! Thing is I had tried to research it a bit but wasn't coming up with a huge amount and thought my experiences may assist someone else as I had taken a bit of a gamble on it being the flywheel that was causing the issues. It's definitely worth getting it done if funds permit as it has transformed the way the car drives, sounds and feels.

Thanks for putting up the info, I've known at the back of my mind for a while but kept putting it off, I'm just going to bite the bullet and go for it next pay check.

Glad you got yours sorted and are enjoying it.

• 1 year later...