Retro fitting steering wheel controls

Chesterfield

For some reason that still mesmorises me, the UK Roadster does not come with the telephone/radio volume control buttons on the steering wheel.

Does anyone know why?

Does anyone know how hard it would be to retro fit these? I cant see it being that difficult, as the stereo is the same.

Is the wiring there, just missing the plate/buttons on the wheel - or is there more to it?

It does seem strange that they didn't fit them to the roadster. I think its just a smoke and mirrors story about the wind noise to be honest.

You can have the stereo on loud driving throug the country, and then drop the volume when you approach a town. So they would be useful.

Also with the top up, I actually find the wind noise a lot less intrusive than say on the previous MX-5, so I think they would still be of some use..

All I need to do now is find the parts that I will need....

I would be very surprised if the wiring wasn't there as it would have meant that they would have had to set up 2 jigs on the production line to produce one with and one without and I wouldn't have said that would have been cost effective. Going on previous experience when I have taken cars apart, the wiring is almost always there but they have just left the hardware off such as buttons, fog lights etc.

All sorted now - just need to find the time to do some reading, and then get on with my first mod! :teeth:

Ill try and remember to write a "how to" guide as I go along, just in case any other UK roadster owners fancy doing it.

If your that good at it I might get you to do mine as well :D