Electrical issues?

Dannyg

Hi all

Car seems to go dead on me

Twice today I've gone to unlock my car, and nothing had to get in with the key, start it up and it works fine but radio and Speedo resets which would suggest the batteries gone flat temporarily, battery is only 6 week's old, when driving volt gauge is at 14v but I'm sure it normally its at 15v and with the keys in but not cranked its at 8v

Any ideas? duff battery?

That's what I thought but I haven't left no lights or heated seats switched on, it wouldn't be the show and go number plate would it lol, had that on for a month and haven't had any issues with it, that works with out the keys in

Edited by Dannyg

Yea,connections are fine.. just put a battery/alternator test and all was good, but then I guess it would be if the Car worked when I unlocked it, I'll try the fuse now Thanks

Edited by Dannyg

Have you tried connecting an ammeter or multimeter (set to amps) in series with a battery lead ?

This would show if there is any significant current flow discharging your battery with everything switched off.

• Like 1

Have you tried connecting an ammeter or multimeter (set to amps) in series with a battery lead ?

This would show if there is any significant current flow discharging your battery with everything switched off.

I did this on mine recently and without the alarm activated and engine off the current drain was 0.4A. I assume this drain would be keeping the computers active. With the alarm activated the drain was 0.7A. Assuming the batt was fully charged for it to be at 8 v when the engine is off seems to indicate some high current is being demanded from somewhere, hence dropping the voltage. But to drop the voltage by 4v would take a lot of current being drawn and if into a faulty component to would get quite hot and smelly, unless something like a heated rear screen. The battery could be iffy but seems unlikely given it's only 6 wk old. I would have a load test done on the battery to confirm its ok. They put a resistance across the batt terminals and it should maintain the voltage at some level for it to be considered ok.

Hope any of this helps.