Bonnet catch/cable failure

SJ350z

Hi Guys,

Got myself a bit of a problem. My bonnet catch has stopped working I believe. I pull it the cable moves with some resistance but nothing happens. I've also got a friend to lift lightly on the bonnet at the same time yet still nothing.

This wouldn't be such a problem but the Car has a flat battery and needs an MOT ( just my luck eh -.- )

Any info and advice would be good. Im no car wizard unfortunately.

Cheers,

Sj

At the same time as pulling the latch press down then up? What side is the bonnet catch? Isit in the same one as the 2nd latch?

Cheers for the reply mate

the bonnet latch is in the middle at the front, might be able to get a wd40 straw to spray it, yeah the bonnet needs to go down to take take the stress off the latch so the cable will work easier, so yes pull the release handle and press down then up on the bonnet

Get your mate to push down on the bonnet front center above the catch - pull the release as hard as you dare (don't brake the lever) while still pulling get said mate to release pressure and lift the bonnet - hopefully it will pop to the second catch.

If it doesn't check the lever is pulling the center wire only - in other words make sure the shroud has not seized and you are just moving the whole wire backwards and forwards.

Still no joy? Remove the drivers side wheel and the arch liner - you will see the black cable that is the bonnet release give it a gentle but firm tug - if it comes of in your hand replace the windscreen washer pipe and try the other black cable. :lol:

If that don't work remove the under tray and spend 2 hours trying to get at the catch from below then remove the bonnet with an angle grinder or crow bar!

Pleas note some of the advice was given with a small touch of sarcasm or was just a joke.

The top 2 methods should work if the cable hasn't snapped though :thumbs:

Good Luck :)

Edited by Keyser

Haha that made me laugh mate I'll give it a go in the morning and hope and pray. I did give that catch a firm tug ( lol ) today so hoping i havn't damaged it or made my life harder. Thanks for the advice guys. I'd probably just get it trailered to the garage and get the whole lot done at the same time than spend my time on my bum fiddling around with cables :p

I'll let you know if I have any joy !

Cheers

Sj

Get your mate to push down on the bonnet front center above the catch - pull the release as hard as you dare (don't brake the lever) while still pulling get said mate to release pressure and lift the bonnet - hopefully it will pop to the second catch.

If it doesn't check the lever is pulling the center wire only - in other words make sure the shroud has not seized and you are just moving the whole wire backwards and forwards.

Still no joy? Remove the drivers side wheel and the arch liner - you will see the black cable that is the bonnet release give it a gentle but firm tug - if it comes of in your hand replace the windscreen washer pipe and try the other black cable. :lol:

If that don't work remove the under tray and spend 2 hours trying to get at the catch from below then remove the bonnet with an angle grinder or crow bar!

Pleas note some of the advice was given with a small touch of sarcasm or was just a joke.

The top 2 methods should work if the cable hasn't snapped though :thumbs:

Good Luck :)

You sir , are a genius !

I took the pressure off the mechanism by pushing down and wallah ! Hey presto it worked :)

I couldn't find my WD-40 so I used some multi-purpose oil that stops rust blah blah all that baloney and the mechanism works fine now !

Very happy so wanted to just say thank you mate :)

Removed my Battery so will have her MOTed shortly.

I'll take some pictures and make a progress thread in a couple of weeks.

Cheers guys!

Sj