Clear coat scratches, rotary polishing for a noob?

montyP

Just got a black 350z, it's got quite bad clear coat scratches all over it, especially down both wings/doors. Looks like the previous owner was a car wash fan!

I know the vast majority of these could be fixed with a good polish. Really don't fancy paying a pro, looked at prices, ridiculous!

Am I foolish to be considering getting a rotary polisher and having a (careful) go at fixing them myself? I went at a few of the worst ones by hand at the weekend with good success, but there's just far too many all over the car to continue that malarkey!

Any tips/advice/experiences appreciated.

Thanks

My advice is to buy a DA over a rotary, you would have to really mess up with a DA to leave any lasting damage whereas a rotary can take away a lot of material very quickly and without a PDG to give you an idea of your paint thickness could lead to panel resprays if it goes badly.

I had the same dilemma with my old car - by the time you buy all the kit you need it might not be that much cheaper!

I went on a course through detailing world forum which gave me the confidence to use different rotary machines and polishes and be taught what to use when etc.

However it is a long long process to do a whole car... Sometimes I wish I had paid someone!

One word of advice I would suggest though is get decent machine and defo get a paint gauge.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Brayster

Thanks for the tips, I have looked at DAs but they are quite a bit more expensive. As someone pointed out if having to get a DA and all the other bits maybe it is worth paying a pro . . .

Will do some more investigating costs

Not trying to be a dick mate but seriously is £150 for all the equipment to have a beautiful well sorted paintwork really that expensive?

If you owned a 2k car I could understand but you dont so get your wallet out you tight git! :lol:

Thanks for the tips, I have looked at DAs but they are quite a bit more expensive. As someone pointed out if having to get a DA and all the other bits maybe it is worth paying a pro . . .

Will do some more investigating costs

Not trying to be a dick mate but seriously is £150 for all the equipment to have a beautiful well sorted paintwork really that expensive?

If you owned a 2k car I could understand but you dont so get your wallet out you tight git! :lol:

• Like 1

Well I ended up having a go by hand, used g3 prep shampoo, meguiars quick clay, then 3 applications of g3 scratch remover followed by 2 applications of g3 paint restorer. Did this over the whole car (except the front bumper) in ine day.

Results are good! There's a few stubborn areas that need another few applications but overall around 80% of the scratches are invisible at 3 feet now :) oh, and I need an arm transplant