Squeaking brakes when braking at low speed + Handbrake light when braking hard

ostego

Hi,

When Jez looked at my car a month ago, he said the front pads were at 27.9mm when they should be 28.4mm minimum, so needed replacing.

I recently had the ESP, skid and handbrake light on permanently, and topped up the brake fluid to max which got rid of this.

I am now having the handbrake light appear when I am braking hard. Is this an indication that my brake pads are getting dangerously low?

The front brakes squeak slightly when light breaking at low speeds, but no noise with just general braking at normal speeds, or hard braking

I am booked in to the zed shed for 22nd Feb, and am having them replaced along with the discs then, but will probably need to cover 250 miles between now and then, and just want to be sure I'm not going to run any risk of doing any damage, to both myself if the brakes fail, or the car if the pads are low.

Don't really want to go topping up the brake fluid reservoir even more to try and get rid of the light as if they're being replaced soon that will just cause unnecessary hassle when the fluid is pushed back up

Edited by ostego

you won't damage the car, if the brakes get really low then you'll hear a horrible grinding noise of metal on metal, and you'll start scoring the discs. but even if it does get this bad, you're replacing both discs and pads anyways.

what pads are they? if they're performance pads then slow speed squeaking is fairly normal.

you won't damage the car, if the brakes get really low then you'll hear a horrible grinding noise of metal on metal, and you'll start scoring the discs. but even if it does get this bad, you're replacing both discs and pads anyways.

what pads are they? if they're performance pads then slow speed squeaking is fairly normal.

Has brembo pads i think, so that could make sense

Is strange about the handbrake light then, as it has only recently started doing it, but will see whether it stays like that after everything is replaced!

As long as i know it is ok to drive it for the next couple of weeks!

Thanks

Low fluid will be down to the pads being low, so the pistons need to go out further requiring more fluid from the reservoir

Iirc the handbrake can double as either low fluid or the pads have got to the wear indicators

Its all related to low friction material on the pads

Keep the fluid level correct, it's easy to syringe some out when you get new pads :thumbs:

Edited by GIXXERUK

• 2 months later...

I had squeaking brakes and ordered a set of new pads.. and the squeak disappeared although my old pads had quite a bit left on them. The mechanic said there was alot of dust gathered and he usually just takes his pads out and and cleans them and takes a wire brush to athe calipers etc.. and it goes away