Undertray problems...

Carr

So I changed my oil (5w30 fully synthetic) & filter recently and I had a bit of an issue with the undertray!

The clips and bolts had rusted quite badly to the extent that the two bolts that hold the undertray at the rear sheared off when I tried to loosen them. I now have the thread portion of the bolts remaining in the subframe! :O

Some of the front bumper brackets that connect to the undertray broke too but I managed to put new clips and self-tapping screws through what was left.

I have heard that this is a common problem - has anyone got any solution to my predicament?

Also, where does everyone jack the car up from and place axle-stands? I have bought some hockey pucks off eBay for next time I have to change my oil/properly secure the undertray to the car lol.

Thanks,

Nathan

I used a load of self tappers and washers in mine as most of the bolts snapped or are seized, I'll eventually get a Zspeed aluminium undertray to replace it.

Jacking the front, use the central jacking point, just behind the tray and for the rear jack on the diff. I put axle stands where the boot jacking points are on the pinch welds.

Cable ties are your friend :lol:

Fortunately the previous owner of mine greased every screw on the under tray, my friends 200sx is held on entirely by cable ties and it hasn't moved an inch

I always use ramps when doing anything that doesnt involve taking the wheels off, Alot safer and alot less likely to damage the car :thumbs:

Edited by peteman35

Yes sorry.

Roll it onto the camper van ramps, enough to get the jack neatly on the sub frame then jack it up and i normally put some concrete blocks underneath. if you can find ramps that fit a 275 tyre let me know :doh:

I am always working off a gravel drive so thats why i hate using axel stands

Edited by peteman35