WRC technologies at Silverstone?

Lincolnbaggie

FFS! I was booked in on the 20th July to have my UTEC mapped! :surrender::angry:

shame to lose the tuners with most experience in installing and mapping APS kits too :(

Probably as well it happened before you took it in ;)

why?

Chris was very confident when i spoke to him at JTS and would have been sorted in 2 hours max. just a case of getting familiarised with the UTEC layout and interface, then anyone who knows what they are doing re. mapping would more than capable of doing it, and he does (as the many TT Z on std internals around can testify). Wasn't expecting on having any issues whatsoever, worst case scenario would have just meant pressing a button and reversing to map 0 (stock map, ECU 100% in control)

FFS! I was booked in on the 20th July to have my UTEC mapped! :surrender::angry:

shame to lose the tuners with most experience in installing and mapping APS kits too :(

Probably as well it happened before you took it in ;)

why?

Chris was very confident when i spoke to him at JTS and would have been sorted in 2 hours max. just a case of getting familiarised with the UTEC layout and interface, then anyone who knows what they are doing re. mapping would more than capable of doing it, and he does (as the many TT Z on std internals around can testify). Wasn't expecting on having any issues whatsoever, worst case scenario would have just meant pressing a button and reversing to map 0 (stock map, ECU 100% in control)

Could you not trade him a beer for some of his time if its so easy? Do you need any specific software that they have and you dont? Otherwise dont see why you couldnt ask to do it as a personal favour for a few beers :drunk: Can always revert to stock if needed as you say.

Guest prescience

Wow very sorry to hear this :thumbdown:

Sorry too for the APS boys since this gives them a bit of a headache :scare:

Could you not trade him a beer for some of his time if its so easy? Do you need any specific software that they have and you dont? Otherwise dont see why you couldnt ask to do it as a personal favour for a few beers :drunk: Can always revert to stock if needed as you say.

need a dyno!!! :surrender:

Whys that? Are there no other places in the UK that can service and look after them?

usually if you have issues you go back to your original installer and since WRC were APS official delaers, it was a good position to start from

Guest prescience

I know you spoke to Mark at TDI about this and didn't match up but IIRC his view was that 4 hours was about the minimum to tune a car given no advanced knowledge of the unit. In my view 2 hours was going to be very tight indeed.

You could speak to Scott/Dan at Abbey whom Im sure could help you out but it is a bit of a trek and I don't think they'd consider 2 hours enough either? Perhaps WRCT were keen on getting your business?

Ahh course, I was being a numb nutt :doh:

I've already got a proper map made by (Gus) Westpak on Jaysen's (tech admin) old car who had very similar mods to mine. It's just a matter of adapting it to my Z.

TDi and Abbey are way too far, not worth the trip unfortunately. (I didn't contact Mark since he's in the deep south, I did speak multiple times with TDi North guy (been so long I've forgotten his name!) who seemed ok with it but has never managed to fit me in.

WRC said 2 max 3 hrs which is realistic imo

also no installation time required as it's already in place incl. remote map switch

Whys that? Are there no other places in the UK that can service and look after them?

usually if you have issues you go back to your original installer and since WRC were APS official delaers, it was a good position to start from

I see that makes sense. i feel sorry for those people now then as their 1 year warranty is worthless

Guest prescience
I've already got a proper map made by (Gus) Westpak on Jaysen's (tech admin) old car who had very similar mods to mine. It's just a matter of adapting it to my Z.

TDi and Abbey are way too far, not worth the trip unfortunately. (I didn't contact Mark since he's in the deep south, I did speak multiple times with TDi North guy (been so long I've forgotten his name!) who seemed ok with it but has never managed to fit me in.

WRC said 2 max 3 hrs which is realistic imo

also no installation time required as it's already in place incl. remote map switch

Gothca :thumbs:

So you were either going to:

- take an initial (small) risk and put Jaysen's map in, switch in and see whether the car ran as is OR

- adjust Jaysen's map by a safety margin (say add some timing through the revs), run with that and wind the safety margin out

Then tune from there? I would've gone Plan B but either would've saved some time I agree :thumbs:

map's already in and actually ran on it for a few miles a while back with no issues. Thing is though, the map is not going to be 100% tailor made for MY car, hence the need to "refining it" on a dyno also to see bhp/tq increase/decrease.