Carbon Fibre wrapping for a first timer

ostego

Saw this in the for sale section

035.jpg

And think having a carbon fibre roof & pillars would looks awesome, like in the picture.

Lowest quote from a professional vinyl fitter was £180... yet I can get 1.52M x 3M 4d Carbon fibre wrap for under £30 from ebay or 5m x 1.52m for £45, so am quite determined to do it myself and save up to £150!

Have read up about wrapping a car and feel confident i can get the roof done fine as it is mainly flat

But in terms of getting the windscreen pillars done.... i am concerned about getting a crease-free fit, since the wrap has to bend a fair amount in order for it to meet that shape (from the back of the roof to the bottom of the windscreen). Have had a sample delivered, and managed to get a thin strip flush around a part of a football with the help of a hairdryer! But does anyone have anyone have any recommendations in terms of how to get the vinyl to naturally follow the curve of the windscreen pillars?

Am trying to work out whether to get 5 x 1.52m wrap (about 1 square metre for the roof), then use about 2 x strips of 2m x 1.52m wrap to place fully over the pillars, and cut a lot of excess off without any worry of the windscreen curve. Or to buy just 3m x 1.52m and use heat to mould the wrap to the curve as the windscreen pillars meet with the roof

Am also quite paranoid about cutting the vinyl.... seem you need to use a stanley knife to cut it along the rubber trim that connects the panels on the car. Am concerned that too heavy of a hand will actually cut into the rubber seals, or even strip the paint (on closer joints) when I do so, are there any tips in this department?

If you don't know already, the picture you posted is real carbon fibre parts which cost a bomb, but if you want to go the vinyl route, definitely get the 4D stuff, it looks the best out of them IMO. What make is the eBay stuff? Stuff from Hexis and 3M will be much better quality bother visually and to work with.

Edited by KyleR

b072432e.jpg

4a64ec7a.jpg

b62b7649.jpg

ac592714.jpg

c3e103d3.jpg

5dcc6be2.jpg

33d3a1af.jpg

673977c5.jpg

e81bf46c.jpg

4e8b0b31.jpg

e2d1e3d4.jpg

074a2cfe.jpg

When trimming above the windscreen, i lifted the vinyl into the scalpel so I didn't cut into the rubber seal, then tucked the excess under the seal

Oooh wow.... Now THAT is a proper job! I wasn't planning on removing the panelling.... but the parts i want to wrap are is the roof, like you, and then the pillars (the parts you remove to do the roof!) How do you get those off? As wrapping them off the car would make it a lot easier!

Nice job by the way... you seem to know what you're doing!

And I'm going for 3m 4d stuff, don't know what the 4d adds... but sounds better than 3d

Got 5m x 1.52m 4d wrap for £35, so have a lot of margin of error for mess ups with a whole 5 metres just to do the few panels! as from my measurements all I should need is about 1.2m x 1m wrap for the roof then [1.3m x 0.4m] X2 for both Pillar A's

Leaves me some scope to see how easy it is anyway, and maybe go a bit mental with wrapping on other panels, or even the interior!

Edited by ostego