Buying a Zed

JackZ

Hi all,

Soon I'll be buying a zed, what should I look out for? There is the obvious service history and milage etc...but is there any specifics for the zed? I've only ever bought 1 car previously haha!

I have read the buyers guide and will keep that handy, is there anything when buying a zed would be beneficial, miltek exhausts or any other common mods??

Thankyou

Buying a car from a forum member may well be of benefit. You can research the history of the car on here to see if it has been tracked or has had any problems. IMO they are getting of an age now where there is potentially a vast difference in a well maintained car and one that has been neglected. Also remember that many garages selling them havent a clue what spec they are and just copy and paste from other ads. If you find one you like that is a distance away feel free to ask a forum member to give it a once over. :)

• Like 1

Edited to say- just read your post again and see you have the buyers guide, whoops

Check the Bose stereo if fitted to see if it skips on cd's in damp weather

Check if the subwoofer is working

Make sure both elecy windows are working and aren't slow

Do the test drive with no music on and window down and listen for clicky driveshafts

Open the boot and see if the gas struts are ok ie: still able to hold and lift the boot lid

Check condition of exhaust system

These are all things that have happened to my 53 plate except for the driveshafts, however all easy fixes which I've done myself and I've had no engine problems (touch wood) so far

Edited by 35oz's
  • Like 1

One thing i did, which was a bit sneaky but relevant in a way, i checked out the guy i was buying it from...his postcode, what he did for a living etc etc...ok it may sound little i was stereotyping but, Zeds are expensive to run, theyre sportscars and i wanted to make sure the original owner was able to look after it, money no issue. That was a big factor in my buying the car off this particular guy. Plus he didnt actually want to sell, plus he kept taking photos of it, and plus he ended up with tears in his eyes as i handed him my cash...at that point i knew i was onto a winner!! Remember also, 2006 onwards will double your road tax...and some are a little stiff in 2nd gear.

Id agree with what 35oz's has said. Other than that, theyre pretty bullet proof.