FM Transmitters for iPod/MP3 etc

MarkW

Does anyone actually use one in their Z to connect an iPod/MP3 player?

I had one years ago and quality was poor. but a mate has a Belkin one in his Forrester and it sounded ok. Well as good as his existing radio/CD player anyway.

I've just ordered the same one from Amazon, so a bit late to ask which is best, but it was only £25 so no big deal........

I used the Griffin road trip and it was pretty good. There were a few noticeable differences as it was quieter, sound wasnt as clear and the odd hiss now and then was a tad annoying. Apart from that it was well worth the £0 i spent on it ;)

Well it should be arriving today so ill post up my thoughts after a few days.

This is the one I have bought....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-TuneBase ... 410&sr=8-2

Only problem I can see is that the lead is quite short which might be a problem due to the location of the power sockets in the Zed. Im not really sure whether to put in it the front hole or the back hole at the moment if you know what I mean ;) Guess I'll try it in both :teeth:

We have had the belkin one for 6 months now, although I have not used it in the Z. Its been quite good, although I think it is very area dependent. We used it most on a road trip in Aus and it was fine, but I guess the airwaves are not so congested there?

I think you just have to find the correct wavelength for where you live that has no other strong signal nearby.

Been using this locally over the weekend and must say Im very impressed with it :thumbs: No interference or crackling at all so far.

It's better in the rear power socket, it just means you cant see the screen or fiddle with it whilst driving, probably a good thing for safety.

Also saw this in John Lewis on the weekend for £59.99 :scare: , so a bargain at Amazon for £24.99!!

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/A ... oduct.aspx

Had a Griffin one but the output was poor from the ipod connector at the base. Either it was my iPod or a faulty Griffin transmitter. You can be lucky or unlucky, there does not seem to be any hard or fast rules with them.

Been using this locally over the weekend and must say Im very impressed with it :thumbs: No interference or crackling at all so far.

It's better in the rear power socket, it just means you cant see the screen or fiddle with it whilst driving, probably a good thing for safety.

Also saw this in John Lewis on the weekend for £59.99 :scare: , so a bargain at Amazon for £24.99!!

yep - You got a good deal. I am interested to see why you said it worked better from the rear socket? I would have thought they would give idenicle performance ?

:blush::blush::blush:

yep - You got a good deal. I am interested to see why you said it worked better from the rear socket? I would have thought they would give idenicle performance ?

:blush::blush::blush:

The connector at the base is a 'line out' output and you cannot alter this. (If the output is poor, there is nothing you can do about it). The Headphone socket you can increase the volume and hence the signal being sent to your car's stereo is much higher.

The signal may be better if you use the rear power socket in the cabin as your power lead is also the transmitter aerial and may be closer to the aerial on your car, i.e better signal.

• 1 month later...

Hi - I came across this posting by chance - I am looking for a way to interface a laptop (which will have a touch screen in cubby hole) to my Bose Head Unit (which has no aux input). The solutions mentioned in the topic are all cradle based for mp3 players, which I dont need. All I need is a transmitter without a cradle, that I can plug into my laptop etc - can anyone recommend one??

(NB - Bose is JDM so fm frequencies are not the same as UK)