HR Engine - Low Oil Pressure on idle

Scootg

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm hoping you'll be able to help me here. I see another post about this a little further down, but it seems to have become off topic and heated, so I thought I best start afresh.

My Zed, 61k on the clock, HR Engine, when warm and idling, is putting out 7psi of pressure according to the oil gauge in my cluster. When I'm doing normal speeds down the motorway, and when starting from cold it'll sit bang on 60psi, rarely going the slightest bit over.

I've recently had a "Winter Check" from Nissan, where they mentioned it so I have given it to them to check. It's been with them all of today and they've not yet found the problem. They have said that coolant came out when they removed the oil pressure sensor to do a manual check. I imagine that's not a particularly good sign. Neither is the fact that the oil pressure is low even when the motor is revving below 3,000rpm..?

I was thinking it might be a cooler problem or it might be a problem with the oil pump. They're talking to Nissan HQ tomorrow about it.. But the mechanic says (maybe to scare me) the last Z they had in with this they had to take the engine out to investigate. I'm getting worries about the dollar at the best of times.. I start thinking about doomsday scenarios and that I might wind up having to trade it against a Note or Pixo!

Any words of advice, comfort or expertise?

Greatly appreciated,

Scott.

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm hoping you'll be able to help me here. I see another post about this a little further down, but it seems to have become off topic and heated, so I thought I best start afresh.

My Zed, 61k on the clock, HR Engine, when warm and idling, is putting out 7psi of pressure according to the oil gauge in my cluster. When I'm doing normal speeds down the motorway, and when starting from cold it'll sit bang on 60psi, rarely going the slightest bit over.

I've recently had a "Winter Check" from Nissan, where they mentioned it so I have given it to them to check. It's been with them all of today and they've not yet found the problem. They have said that coolant came out when they removed the oil pressure sensor to do a manual check. I imagine that's not a particularly good sign. Neither is the fact that the oil pressure is low even when the motor is revving below 3,000rpm..?

I was thinking it might be a cooler problem or it might be a problem with the oil pump. They're talking to Nissan HQ tomorrow about it.. But the mechanic says (maybe to scare me) the last Z they had in with this they had to take the engine out to investigate. I'm getting worries about the dollar at the best of times.. I start thinking about doomsday scenarios and that I might wind up having to trade it against a Note or Pixo!

Any words of advice, comfort or expertise?

Greatly appreciated,

Scott.

How much are they quoting to take out etc etc.

No quotation from them as yet, today has been all about diagnosis. Tomorrow apparently they will complete their diagnosis and have a conversation with Nissan HQ to make sure they are going about it in the correct way, and have explored all options as to what it could be.

I'm being lazy here, but I'm sure there a list on this site whereby each Nissan Stealer (sorry) Dealer has been rated by members of the site. It's worth checking out. I have a dealer not too far from me and to be honest It'd be a stretch to let them put air in my tyres. Marshall in Cambridge eh? I don't know if they are a high performance centre or not and to be honest I don't know if this makes any difference to their knowledge or quality of work but I'd be prepared to travel up to 100 miles to have work done by a garage/mechanic I trusted and whose reputation had been hard earned.

They've just told me after two days of exploratory work, they don't know what's wrong. They want to take the engine out to explore further. They tell me they think it's oil pump, or oil cooler in nature. But to fix the pump, they have to remove the engine apparently. I'm not so sure about that - anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys, it seems Nissan Cambridge flushed some sorta clog out when they performed an engine flush.

They seem to think that oil pressure that fluctuates depending on rpm is a problem warranting an engine out investigation.

I won't be going back there in a hurry.

Thanks for the advice guys, it seems Nissan Cambridge flushed some sorta clog out when they performed an engine flush.

They seem to think that oil pressure that fluctuates depending on rpm is a problem warranting an engine out investigation.

I won't be going back there in a hurry.

They are having a laugh... :lol: :lol: