thermal plenum spacer

rob1991

I've been looking into buying a plenum spacer for a while now and am currently looking at getting the H-Dev plenum spacer but have looked at Motordyne thermal plenum spacer, does heat soak actually affect the performance of the car justifying the extra cost and importing?

Thanks Rob.

In theory at anything over idle the heat transfered through the metal of the plenum will make no difference to the overall temperature and performance, due to what is known as boundary layer effect, its actually only the air within 1-2mm of the metal that heats up, the rest it has no effect on, same goes for the heated throttle, which was initially developed for aircraft as the fuel was delivered via carburetter before the throttle plate, and would ice up at altitude, this has been carried on even on fuel injected engines, yes the air flow can cause ice, but I have yet to see any other provable reason for keeping it on anything but arctic climates.

Same goes for boost pipes on FI engines, a lot seem to think that lagging them is a good idea, but its just wasted money for the same reason as my first comment.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

With a boundary layer effect the 1-2mm is relatively static and is in effect decoupled for the the airflow so doesn't raise the temperature of the moving air, the air temperature entering the intake system has far more effect on an N/A application, and the lower the better for power.your far better of spending your cash on improving the intake than fafing about with thermal decoupling.

• 4 weeks later...