Amp advice from the Audiophiles

d95gas

Starting to get the bits together to do my audio install. Fronts will be components and will be using the Hertz Energy ESK 165.5. With regards to the rears and sub I am undecided.

I know the existing mount for the Bose sub is not ideal, but I would just like to improve the bass and possibly use that space, I am not looking for back massaging bass.

Rear speakers I am open to advice, but generally speaking I have all the focus on the fronts (having come from an MR2), I have very little sound coming out of the rear speakers so might just leave them as is and see how things go.

The important one for me is the Amp. I don't want some big thing, I just want something thats small(ish) and up to the job, so I am currently looking at the Pioneer GM-D8604 which seems to be a decent spec (from someone with no knowledge of these things)

So, any opinions on any of this?

Anybody using these Hertz speakers? any issues with space/fitting ?

Whats the view on the Amp ? I'm thinking Pioneer has a good name, so the kit can't be too bad!.

Thanks in advance

Graeme

I have hertz hsk 165 components in the front and hertz hcx 165 coaxials in the back, with a modest 10" clarion sub in the box behind the driver seat. It's all driven by a Hertz HDP5 amp. It's a five channel amp so negates the need for a dedicated sub amp, the upshot is it fits over the rear amp mount nicely and is hidden, consuming very little space, however, my fillings don't rattle when I turn it up but I get nice precise bass which I can use to make the rear plastics resonate if I want! If you want big bass (which it appears you don't) it's probably not the best, a dedicated sub amp would definitely help, as would a bigger sub with a proper ported enclosure.

All in all I am very happy, I go more for precision than volume but it goes loud when I want.

Things to bear in mind; you may need to throw the fader forward to stop the rears (inches from your head) drowning out the front, also with the low/mid end comps in the front (down by your feet) but tweeters under your nose it can make it feel a bit brash up front if you don't get the equalizer balanced up. It took me a few weeks of gentle tweaking the high and low pass filters, fade, sub level and equalizer to get there, but I did eventually. I still move the fade around daily, depending on what music I listen to and have a couple of preset equalizer settings I can toggle. A decent headunit is a must if you don't have one already as it will take tinkering.

Also think about dynamat to try and kill pesky, unwanted vibrations in anything remotely close to the speakers. The Zed, IMHO, is a poorly designed space for audio and cabin noise does try and invade - but it does make it's own music for you when you press the loud pedal!

Good luck finding the right mix, it's out there, just be patient.

I have hertz hsk 165 components in the front and hertz hcx 165 coaxials in the back, with a modest 10" clarion sub in the box behind the driver seat. It's all driven by a Hertz HDP5 amp. It's a five channel amp so negates the need for a dedicated sub amp, the upshot is it fits over the rear amp mount nicely and is hidden, consuming very little space, however, my fillings don't rattle when I turn it up but I get nice precise bass which I can use to make the rear plastics resonate if I want! If you want big bass (which it appears you don't) it's probably not the best, a dedicated sub amp would definitely help, as would a bigger sub with a proper ported enclosure.

All in all I am very happy, I go more for precision than volume but it goes loud when I want.

Things to bear in mind; you may need to throw the fader forward to stop the rears (inches from your head) drowning out the front, also with the low/mid end comps in the front (down by your feet) but tweeters under your nose it can make it feel a bit brash up front if you don't get the equalizer balanced up. It took me a few weeks of gentle tweaking the high and low pass filters, fade, sub level and equalizer to get there, but I did eventually. I still move the fade around daily, depending on what music I listen to and have a couple of preset equalizer settings I can toggle. A decent headunit is a must if you don't have one already as it will take tinkering.

Also think about dynamat to try and kill pesky, unwanted vibrations in anything remotely close to the speakers. The Zed, IMHO, is a poorly designed space for audio and cabin noise does try and invade - but it does make it's own music for you when you press the loud pedal!

Good luck finding the right mix, it's out there, just be patient.

This sounds like just the sort of setup I am looking at, discreet install, but with some decent sound to it. I know what you mean about the tweeters, had the same issue in the MR2 and again a lot of fiddling to get the notes just right.

Many thanks

I've heard only good things about the hertz amps , bought a used ep4 for my skyline based on some of views I read , might be convinced to part with it if you are interested as I never got around to fitting it

One of my main reasons for selecting that particular Pioneer amp was its size, so I could fit it discreetly away. What size is the EP4 you have and what sort of money are you looking at?

I've heard only good things about the hertz amps , bought a used ep4 for my skyline based on some of views I read , might be convinced to part with it if you are interested as I never got around to fitting it

One of my main reasons for selecting that particular Pioneer amp was its size, so I could fit it discreetly away. What size is the EP4 you have and what sort of money are you looking at?

Probably best if you google it and use the official dimensions rather than mine , I'm looking for £50 plus post which is what I paid , it's all boxed etc in great condition

If you want something smaller check out the vibe range , I had fitted on of their amps under the passenger seat on my Evo , quite small but very punchy amps

Probably best if you google it and use the official dimensions rather than mine , I'm looking for £50 plus post which is what I paid , it's all boxed etc in great condition

If you want something smaller check out the vibe range , I had fitted on of their amps under the passenger seat on my Evo , quite small but very punchy amps

What model is the Amp as when I put the previous model number up it brought back two different Hertz Amps?