Worst Horn ever...

Hughesie90

Hey guys i bought a JDM 350z last week, some tosser cut me up driving it home and i hit the horn and nothing seemed to happen!

I got home and pressed it and it sounds like mary f'in poppins bike horn lol, it's a red cone and it's tiewrapped below where the bonnet release is?

is this a non standard horn, where can i get a better one from and is it easy to fit?

The horn on my96 JDM WRX was absolute rubbish so I bought a twin tone air horn made by "Stebel" from Halfords. Used to scare the sh*t out of people when I blasted it at them. :lol: Pretty similar to this one; http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_787885_langId_-1_categoryId_165704# It was fairly easy to fit but did need a "relay" fitting with it but was still pretty simple to do. Not sure if you'll need the relay though with the "Ring" air horn version. ;)

• Like 1

In case you did want to fit the compact style twin tone air horn Hughesie90 I have just dug up my old thread from Scoobynet about fitting it. As I said a fairly simple job to do but you will also need an inline fuse holder, 20amp fuse and a few other little bits I forgot about. Ignore some of the fitting instructions as it was for my96 classic shape Impreza but the main jist of it is still the same for the Zed. Hope that helps if you do go for it. "When you buy a Stebel Nautilus Compact horn you get the;

Electric Air Horn

A five pin Relay (the 87a pin on the Relay is not used)

And a plastic air hose attachment (for frequent off road use/did not use mine)

Sure it also came with a mount (but cannot remember TBH)

You will also need;

An in-line waterproof fuse holder PCS CABLES OnlineShop

20 Amp blade fuse

And some connectors (4-6 blue female insulated and 2 ring connectors), single core cable (1mtr est) plus some electrical crimpers.

*Disconnect the two wires from your stock horn. (taking note of positive and negative wires)

*Connect the old horns negative wire to pin 85 (the negative -) and the old horns positive wire to pin 86 (the positive +) on the Relay.

*Connect a wire between pin 87 on the Relay and the positive connection on the New electric air horn.

*Connect a wire from the negative (-) side of the New electric air horn to a good ground, e.g. A chassis leg, or the negative (-) battery accessory wire. (I fitted mine to the front slam panel)

*Connect your in-line fuse holder between pin 30 on the Relay and your 12V battery or a good 12V positive supply but I'd do it directly to the battery.

*The 87a pin on the relay is not used so just ignore it...job done.

In the above I have not included a few things as it is up to you where you mount the horn and what you do with the relay although the horn must be mounted on a horizontal plane with no more than 25degress in any other direction and obviously situated where it will not be subject to large amounts of water (like puddles).

This is what else I did;

*Removed my front grill (mine is fitted behind this)

*Fabricated a metal bracket (from an old bike spanner wrenchlol1.gif) to hold the horn securely. (Bent into a Z shape)

*Fitted the horn to the front slam panel on the passenger side behind the grill (already spare holes for bolts etc on my classic)

*Fitted my Relay in to the OE Subaru engine fuse box (theres already a space inside big enough for it on my classic)

*Then secured all the wires with cable ties, put my grill back on and temporarily deafened myself testing the new hornbiggrin.gif.

Never written a job out like that before so I hope that's ok for everyone and that I haven't missed out anything."

Good guide GM,ive got the worst of both worlds having jdm Impreza and jdm Z it must be a jap thing!i don't even have a horn in the Z now couldn't figure it out when new steering wheel went in so im just a frantic hand waver now lol

Thanks. Must be an import thing for sure. :lol: I'd try and get your horn sorted though if you can as I'm pretty positive it will be an MOT failure unfortunately. Good luck. :thumbs: