Battery size

Crb

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me. I've searched the forum and can find plenty on jdm battery specifics but nothing relating to actual size. So I'm trying to find out what size battery can fit in a zed.

My tiny jdm battery appears to be on its last legs and as I don't really use it as a daily drive I'm hoping to get something that will survive being parked up for 1-2 weeks over the winter.

The exact replacement for my battery size wise is this and it also has the jap posts etc

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-054-Varta-Asia-Car-Battery-P3201.html

But speaking to the guys at Tanya they said that it really might not be up to the job (which is my worry)

They recommend this battery

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Optima-Yellow-Top-YTS-2.7RJ-P3804.html

I'm not really worried about the price because it certainly seems man enough, but I'm worried that it might not fit due to the length being 50mm bigger than my current one.

Cheers

Chris

It will fit but a few things. My old JDM battery was 330ca. Tiny and rubbish. You can get a yellow top and it SHOULD fit because a UK battery which is 005L will fit. So just measure it against that.

You could buy UK terminals swap them over and enjoy better and cheaper battery choice? A slight hassle but in the winter it's a life safer.

It will fit but a few things. My old JDM battery was 330ca. Tiny and rubbish. You can get a yellow top and it SHOULD fit because a UK battery which is 005L will fit. So just measure it against that.

You could buy UK terminals swap them over and enjoy better and cheaper battery choice? A slight hassle but in the winter it's a life safer.

Yeah from reading your posts about it in the past I'm thinking about swapping the terminals but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to using spanners. How hard is it to change the terminals?

Yeah from reading your posts about it in the past I'm thinking about swapping the terminals but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to using spanners. How hard is it to change the terminals?

Tell us where you are based, maybe we can recommend someone then.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put one in last week, cant mind the number now but its the same as what came out of it and thats been in there since at least since 08 think I got the Z, its reall small and cost like fifty quid from Manbat in Rutherglen... I'll look up the number tonight...

• 4 weeks later...

Biggest one you can fit in is an 068 size, but you must check the dimensions as each maker varies and some 068 are too long.

I've just moved up to a Bosch S4 026 from EuroCarParts £62.34 Nov 2013. It's 70Ah and 630CCA. 254mm x 173mm at the base. 218mm to top of the posts. It will fit a UK/EU battery tray = 261mm x 178mm inside the lipped edge.

If you have a JDM battery tray with the two blocks getting in the way, either swap it for a salvaged UK version as they don't have these 2 stupid blocks (about £20 off ebay) or chop the blocks out of it.

I used terminal reducer caps £12 on top of my battery posts, needed to be hand-drilled to secure into the large UK terminal posts of the battery. These caps are extremely hard to find nowerdays. They step the battery posts down to the thinner Jap size. But they raise the height 10mm on top of the battery terminals. With the Bosch S4 026 it is a nice fit and the black plastic cover lid will still fit over the whole lot without too much hassle.

Whatever battery make you chose for this method, 222mm to the top of the posts is the highest you can safely go, (if you then allow +10mm for caps on top = 232mm in total) or else it'll foul the black cover lid and also the bonnet won't like it!

Bin those 330CCA thin JDM batteries! They won't crank during very cold spells. Had a MotorQuip Powercharge Premium ref VBZ48 BBMS no.154 430CCA 45Ah. Got rid. Poor winter starts.

Both of those suggestions by tanya are too weedy. You need to be going as a minimum 550 CCA SAE and 52Ah or more and those figure came from Nissan American TSBs. I've used a FISCH 068 550CCA SAE 70Ah for the past 4 years, and now onto the Bosch 630CCA 70Ah which is even better starting. But these were UK batteries with reducer caps UK-to-Jap size. See if your local motor factors can get them. They sit over the round terminal posts.

• 2 weeks later...