Help & Advice Needed

rodgeevans

Seeing everyone on here is so helpful maybe some of you can help me with an issue.

It all begins about 18 months ago, when i purchased a ring from a friend for my stepmum fully custom 5k ring which cost me 2k. On seeing this deal my boss informs me that he is after a ring for his fiancee too so i ask my mate about it and he says it is possible. My boss then says what if she doesn't like it although it is a design she has specifically chosen and would be a custom job again. My mate informs me that if she doesn't like the ring he would be able to put it in his mates shop to sell but it could take a week or could take 2 years but as soon as it sold he would get a full refund, but there is no refunds as such as it is a private cash sale for a custom peice of jewellery.

At this point i give each of them the others details as i dont want to be involved, Boss agrees and orders his ring, due to the extra work involved he gets a 4.5k ring for 2.5k.

Ring is delivered and she loves it. Then a month or two later the ring is returned to me with, she no longer wants it as one of the 25 stones fell out whilst she was doing washing up or some sort. My mate takes the ring back repairs and checks all the other stones out his own pocket, which he said he doesn't really have to do as he has no idea how the ring has been looked after or what really caused the stone to fall out.

Im then informed she still doesn't want the ring back as she cant trust wearing it anymore. So my mate says he will put it up for sale in his mates shop window.

Time passes and i had totally forgotten all about it till one day about 10 months later my boss informs me that my mate will be bringing the ring round so i could deliver it back to him. A few weeks later as promised the ring is given to me to return.

I give the ring to my boss only for the next day it be bought back with no other issues saying no she doesn't want it im not taking it i want my money back.

I go back to my mate tell him the story to which he refuses to take it back saying under the terms and conditions of the trading standards act for a private cash sale he has gone above and beyond what he needs to do.

Now im left in possession of a ring that neither will accept. Work has become really uncomfortable as i am being used as the middle man, and being pressurised to resolve this and present my boss with his money. My mate is no longer talking to me due to the stress this has caused him. i fell uncomfortable at work and am becoming stressed over the whole situation.

I feel like this is all being left down to me to resolve, i am now responsible for a 4.5k ring that no one wants but cant afford to lose, i am in the middle of buying my first house so could do without all the extra pressure.

what do people suggest.

I suggest, that you are dealing with the stress of others.

We all live for a number of heartbeats, not days, you are wasting them.

Sit them both down and explain the score. Tell them you want nothing more out of the situation.

If they still dont listen, you have a 4.5k ring dont you? that'll get you through a couple of months looking for a new job...

• Like 2

It's pretty clear to see that you have nothing to do with this, you just happen to be the guy that put them together.

What I would be tempted to do is put the ring on our boss' desk and simply say that this isn't your business.

It's his issue with the jeweller and you won't be getting involved.

Nice, polite but clear and firm.

Any more or any less and it may come over submissive or aggressive.

Then tell your friend what you have done.

If either of them dismiss you or hold a grudge, it's their loss as they have a warped sense of reality and social understanding. Better off without them.

Being your boss will be tricky but just hold your head high in the knowing that there is nothing you can or could have done to effect anything. Other people will see that too.

• Like 2

I think the main issue that is causing stress is as im in middle of buying first house so i cant afford to be umemployed so its making it worse.

Unless you work for a bunch of travellers, there's no way he can fire you because of a ring that his Mrs doesn't want anymore.

You cant be let go over this.

It would be massively inappropriate and you could definitely sue.

I appreciate that suing would also be stress, but my point is that he can not let you go over this situation.

I agree with the calmer person who responded after me.

You have nothing to do with this, maintain decorum and just go tell your boss and your mate.

I feel bad for you mate, but sometimes in life you have to make a decision to keep others around you happy, or be happy yourself.

Edited by Jaz 350z
  • Like 1

While you're holding it, could try and sell the ring, and give your boss/or friend the money if it sells :)

**** Dat.

Then you're proper involved, right in the middle of it all. Deep.

Just give it to the boss, he's the current owner.

IMO.

• Like 1

It's pretty clear to see that you have nothing to do with this, you just happen to be the guy that put them together.

What I would be tempted to do is put the ring on our boss' desk and simply say that this isn't your business.

It's his issue with the jeweller and you won't be getting involved.

Nice, polite but clear and firm.

Any more or any less and it may come over submissive or aggressive.

Then tell your friend what you have done.

If either of them dismiss you or hold a grudge, it's their loss as they have a warped sense of reality and social understanding. Better off without them.

Being your boss will be tricky but just hold your head high in the knowing that there is nothing you can or could have done to effect anything. Other people will see that too.

Agree with this totally. If you do anything else with it, you have then involved yourself when you don't need to. Make sure someone else is there when you return it to your boss.

• Like 1