Avons ZZ3 & ZV5

adam1942

Been running with cheap 'event' tyres that came with the standard 18" wheels for the last 6 months after bending one of my 19" gtrs :(. Today I lost the head after taking a large roundabout at about 10 mph in the wet and getting the worst understeer I've ever had (no collision as I was taking it handy knowing the tyres were awful). I called in and got some Avons fitted.

ZZ3 on the rear and ZV5 on the fronts. This unsurprisingly has transformed the car. Its quieter to drive and handles a lot better. I've been reading on tyrereviews (links below) and both tyres are very equally rated.

Rear

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Avon/ZZ3.htm

Front

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Avon/ZV5.htm

I've learnt a few things;

Even though the larger gtr wheels had dunlop sport maxx on they didn't perform as well as the Avons.

The smaller wheels make the car a lot better to drive and a lot more 'predictable' in the wet although that could also be the tyres

and finally.. never ever EVER use event tyres in the wet as they will cause an event.. and not a good one at that.

check the rating on tyrereviews.co.uk (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Event/WL905.htm)

sorry for rambling on but its completely transformed the car and would recommend anyone running budgets to get them off ASAP.

I do like Avon ZZ3's as I used them for 3 years on my old EP3 and they where very good. Not sure I'd have put different tread patterns on the front to the back though adam1942 but glad it's improved your car's handling from your old tyres in your opinion. :thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Zed for 12 months now. It had some nearly new Avon ZZ3s on the rear and the original Bridgestones on the front. The stability control kept activating during hard cornering! The fronts have now reached the legal limit and have just replaced them with ZZ3s.

They have transformed the Zeds handling, no more stability interventions, which confirms all the advice offered on this forum about not mixing tyres.

• 3 months later...

Just an update to this thread (holy thread resurrection batman right?)

Anyway I've been driving all winter with these tyres from Snow, rain and finally some dry weather above 7c!

These out performed the bridgstones, dunlop sport maxx or the Kuhmos I had on and where a lot cheaper than all.

The car drives and handles so much better. The ride is better and quieter!

In the snow and ice I could actually apply the brakes without ABS kicking in when even feather weight tapping the brakes! Accelerating the car in the snow would feel like the car was bogging down almost but when you take it handy there are no issues.

I had to pull out the other day in a brisk form. Halfish throttle from stand still no wheel spin turning the wheel at 90 degrees then with the car half straight boot down no issues at all.

Would recommend these 100%. I had them on my Renaultsport Clio 197 but always assumed the extra torque, power and weight in the 350z would make a difference. I'm happily mistaken!

Edited by adam1942