Engine light issue, help needed

Hammerz

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out. I've been looking to purchase a 350z for a while and think I've found a sound one but there's an issue.

The cars been decatted and the engine light is on. It drives as you'd normally expect, but for peace of mind I asked for the cats to be put back on to make sure it's only the decat that's causing the light. After the cats we're put back the light stayed on so I've not purchased the car. I'm keen to though and the seller is trying to get it sorted.

Am I right in thinking the ecu would need to be reset to forget and then recheck for the lambda sensor, or would it go off if there wasn't a problem?

Any advise appreciated. Looking forward to joining the community hopefully sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Hi,

The light won't go out automatically if a fault has been registered.

Don't clear the fault codes, you would be better to read them all first and then look them up. Google is great for explaining what they all mean.

A cheap reader, sub £15, will do the trick and is a minor investment.

Edited by Toon Chris

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out. I've been looking to purchase a 350z for a while and think I've found a sound one but there's an issue.

The cars been decatted and the engine light is on. It drives as you'd normally expect, but for peace of mind I asked for the cats to be put back on to make sure it's only the decat that's causing the light. After the cats we're put back the light stayed on so I've not purchased the car. I'm keen to though and the seller is trying to get it sorted.

Am I right in thinking the ecu would need to be reset to forget and then recheck for the lambda sensor, or would it go off if there wasn't a problem?

Any advise appreciated. Looking forward to joining the community hopefully sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Dont quote me on this but I believe you would have to do an ECU reset for the CEL light to go off and allow the car to re-learn values.

From what I have read, after doing the reset via the pedal dance if there was an issue the CEL would come back on within a few minutes (5-10?)

Do you know if the Lambda sensors had spacers fitted?

Of course its possible the sensors could be buggered to getting a code reader as Chris suggested would probably be a good idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a quick update. Managed to get hold of a diagnostic reader thingy, plugged it in, only errors we're re the cats being taken out and put back so cleared the error and all is well.

Oh, and I'm now the owner of a black GT spec Zed. Thanks for the replies helping me on the way to buying this gorgeous car.