Is IT LEGAL?

Zedrush

You know the side indicators on the car the small ones under the Z emblem, is it legal to remove them and have the hole smoothed over?

I would of thought so. The US zeds don't have them but I would of thought they were a legal requirement. I've seen people take the side Z badges off though. :wacko:

You know the side indicators on the car the small ones under the Z emblem, is it legal to remove them and have the hole smoothed over?

I would of thought so. The US zeds don't have them but I would of thought they were a legal requirement. I've seen people take the side Z badges off though. :wacko:

Why would they do that, thats the best part on the side :wacko: wonder who would know about the side indicators... I get my new car tomo :yahoo:

Why would they do that, thats the best part on the side :wacko: wonder who would know about the side indicators... I get my new car tomo :yahoo:

Tell us what it is then? :surrender:

I am not sure of the exact details but I will put my money on IT being a homologation requirement for Whole Vehicle Type Approval by the OEM.

In the EU law there will be a requirement for a side indicator light which is visible from the Front back and side, it is intermittent, it is mounted in the front third of the vehicle, with a minimum height from ground of "X" mm. and a visibility angle of "X" degrees....blabla bla

That is why every car manufactured for europe have them, and even the mirror mounted I think you will find can be seen from the drivers behind you.

I think however for single vehicle type approval this might not be so strict, because if you are to import an US spec car it will not have it, and I cannot remeber if seeing US cars with add on side indicators (like Jap-imports have add-on rr fog lights...)

I cannot find on the MOT anything about it, other than the generic "if the car is fitted with side indicators , check them for operation"

So my calculated guess is that this is a Whole Vehicle Type Aproval requirement for manufacturers to homolgate vehicles for all markets, but after this, it is your duty to maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy condition as highlighted by the MOT test standards... and since the basic rule is

"if it is there check it" if it is not " don't check it" I think you would probably be OK... however I would double check with your local friendly MOT tester...

Guest prescience

On a previous car (a R5GTT) I had the OEM wings swapped to lighter materials to reduce weight doing away with the side indicators in the process. On at least 2 MoTs this was picked up as a potential fail (since they were aware that they were OEM) but I was let off basically :thumbs:

As Zzzz.... says, find a friendly MoTer and check their opinion

You can remove them. It's one of those things if they are there they have to work but they don't actually have to be there.

It's like you need wipers that work if you have a windscreen, but if you don't have a wind screen then you don't need wipers. You don't need a windscreen to pass an MOT.

What i'd like to know is the Z badge big enough to cover the hole if you take them off and move the Z badge down.

You can remove them. It's one of those things if they are there they have to work but they don't actually have to be there.

It's like you need wipers that work if you have a windscreen, but if you don't have a wind screen then you don't need wipers. You don't need a windscreen to pass an MOT.

What i'd like to know is the Z badge big enough to cover the hole if you take them off and move the Z badge down.

hmm cheers dude so thats a definate can be removed :thumbs: