Replacement Sub install, with pics.

Jared350z

When I bought my car it had an awesome 12" sub in the boot but as you know the Zeds boot isn't very big and this sub was in a box. So I first decided to make the box smaller, but I realised that the built in sub wasn't working so I popped the cover off and it wasn't working......it wasn't there at all. So I had a missing sub and a sub I still wanted in my car.

My first thought was why don't I just put the 12" sub in the hole where the original was, but NO of corse its to big. I then thought why don't it put it in anyway and modify the existing hole. Even if I ballsed it up at least I could put the cover back on and hide my failed attempted (shame).

I made the hole bigger by cutting slots all around and folded the tabs back, I did this so there wasn't a sharp edge and also they can be bent back if I sell it and someone wants to put the original back in, clever stuff aye! I had to shave off some of the trim so that the sub sits right and had to loose one clip but there are loads anyway. I even used the original sticky padding so that it doesnt rattle.

It works a treat and I'm so happy with how its turned out, I did think halfway through that I was gonna have to abort, but if your gonna try this yourself make a template up first, its alot easier than guessing trust me.

post-19570-0-30646800-1381251497_thumb.jpg

post-19570-0-54304900-1381251515_thumb.jpg

post-19570-0-18669400-1381251534_thumb.jpg

post-19570-0-21634800-1381251580_thumb.jpg

What is the sound like? Have you just screwed it straight into the metal?

Would have thought it would vibrate like crazy and sound awful?

It sounds awesome as there its designed to have a sub in anyway, I've just out a bigger one in. I did screw it straight down to the metal but I used the original padding inbetween all the bits of touching metal. I made sure nothing was lose as I was putting it back together. The best bit is if I crank it right up I get a nice bass massage ha ha

I never liked the bose sub position, to much bass there was just annoying as you felt it hitting you in the back. Bass should be non directional and just fill the car with nice clean sound. They could of done a better job if they made the bose sub enclosed and ported into the boot space.

I never liked the bose sub position, to much bass there was just annoying as you felt it hitting you in the back. Bass should be non directional and just fill the car with nice clean sound. They could of done a better job if they made the bose sub enclosed and ported into the boot space.

And make the boot smaller than it already is? The boot size doesn't bother me, but I know a strut bar AND a sub in the boot would put a lot of people off! They had to put instructions in on how to fit 2 golf bags in as it is :stir:

You are right but I do like the massage effect it has on my back ha ha, brings a bit of boy racer luxury to my drive :drive1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't the sub be in a box (sealed or ported) of some kind to get the best out of it?

Just asking as it was previously in a box.

Good question but the original BOSE one was in there before so the space was designed for it. I made sure I cushioned every bit of metal to metal so that there was no rattle when I cranked it up. Sounds mint and you get a cheeky back massage when you put a dirty sound on :p

• Like 1

Clarion 10inc sub will take a pic when I go to garage fit a cheap amp in as well. £25 sub off eBay and amp was a second hand one off eBay as well under £40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah see its even easier if you stick with the 10" I was greedy and made the whole bigger, typical bloke syndrome! ha ha I like what you have done though dude, I have done the same with the amp to.

HIGH FIVE FOR THE LOVE OF BASS!!!!

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't the sub be in a box (sealed or ported) of some kind to get the best out of it?

Just asking as it was previously in a box.

Good question but the original BOSE one was in there before so the space was designed for it. I made sure I cushioned every bit of metal to metal so that there was no rattle when I cranked it up. Sounds mint and you get a cheeky back massage when you put a dirty sound on :p

The space wasn't designed for the sub, more like they used a free air sub that doesn't require a box at all, hence there not being much of a sub. Even if it sounds ok, it will probably sound even better with a sealed or ported box. Unless of course your sub is a free air type :)

I was looking at getting a free air if I had more cash to burn I would do it right but for the cost off and ease just to stick any 10ibc and a amp I gave it a go and it kicks the ass out off the one what was in :-). If budgie is low then it's a good mod but if cash is there to use then you should defo do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk