ERZ High Flow Cats - Engine light?

mike89

Got some of these from Tarmac, getting them fitted along with my Invidia Gemini very shortly. Been reading up on them on US forums about them bringing up engine lights. Anybody had this issue? Also clueless as to what the O2 sensor plugs are for, I'm not clued up in the whole exhaust / cats stuff.

By engine light, I'm assuming you mean the EML (engine management light).

It could do I'm afraid as when changing CATs you are causing the engine to run outside of specification, the light would ONLY come on if it went too far out of spec.

Likelihood is that it won't bring up the EML as you'd need to change a lot more than just installing some high flow cats!

By engine light, I'm assuming you mean the EML (engine management light).

It could do I'm afraid as when changing CATs you are causing the engine to run outside of specification, the light would ONLY come on if it went too far out of spec.

Likelihood is that it won't bring up the EML as you'd need to change a lot more than just installing some high flow cats!

Thanks for the reply, had them both fitted and there is no light. 1st time I've had an aftermarket exhaust on my car, it's rather load.

Edited by mike89
  • Like 1

The hfcs will make a big difference to the volume. I was hoping to replicate the effect it had on my 350 with the milltek exhaust but it didnt play ball.

This link shows the difference when added to mu stillen, although there was a fitment issue as i mentioned and they lasted about a week before coming off, It was just too much noise.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/58499-stillen-and-hfcs-fitment-conclusions/page__hl__%2Bberks+%2Beffect

Edited by Will370z

I get no hiss or rasping. I researched this on US forums, apparently the invidia rasps with BERKS and thats why I went with those ones, not because they were cheaper. If you are local to Glasgow you are welcome to have a listen.

I live in Berks, so that would be a bit of a drive, thanks for the offer nevertheless...

You say they are loud which worries me as I am a few years older than you and defo past the max power/fast car phase of my life 10 + years ago.

Still they are cheap, its the fitting which is a ball ache, might look to get them fitted by who ever I decide to do the uprev on the roadster. I shall have a ponder on this.

Honestly do you think they are OTT?

I don't want to look like a tool when I pull up / away at the lights.

Robin - did you check out my video, the difference is quite dramatic. It was too much for me and they lasted 2 weeks and came off. Will admit part of the volume came from the bad fit but still.

Would you have kept em if the fitment issue hadn't occurred? From your posts at the time I got the impression you were chuffed initially at least until you realised the problem was occurring. Along with spacers I've dithered over HFCs for quite a while, but the thought of all that potential hassle with the fitting has held me back. And when I hear the car from the outside with just the Stillen I think it sounds really good.

Edited by sipar69

I'll be honest. They were the best thing i ever put on the 350z, they complimented the milltek perfectly andi would recommend them to anyone.

On the 370z initially i thought wow, oh god that sounds awesome, put your foot down and its like a full blown racer. But thrn you have to live with it every day. A couple of days later I got into the car at work and started her up and felt embarrased, it was too much. For me it took the stillen one stage too far and it didnt work out as well as on the 350z.

Every so often, especially in wales with my buddies and their louder cars i feel the stillen may be too quiet amd think back and say should i try it again, however out on the country roads, roof down and the stillen singing away by itself its glorious. Would i go for hfcs now, definitely not.

Also forgot to mention, with the hfcs on the 350 they kept firing off the ecu light with air flow issues, was a real pain, especially when cold. Really didnt want that hassle again with Rosie.

Edited by Will370z
  • Like 2

Thanks Will I think you have answered my worries, watched the video and one I found online. Some guy did a ten minute review with db comparison same setup and that was a bit much even in the coupe. Be far louder in the roadster.

I will just skip to the uprev. Like you say we have the feature of been able to drop the roof for more volume and it's pretty raucous with the top down.