Erratic idle

gareth29

Been reading some related posts recently and realised that I may have created a problem for myself. The motor was idling at very low rpm so I embarked on a throttle body and MAF clean. Now for some confessions:

- I didnt disconnect the battery

- I moved the butterfly, as far as it would go - a few times (now I read this is a big no no)

The clean lifted the idle speed to a pleasant 800 or so, usually, but very often its idling at 1500 and hanging on to revs when changing gear. All this makes for jerky, frustrating progress at times.

After the clean I did all the idle air/closed throttle posn resets, then the pedal dance, but never got the cel to blink.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Having had a similar issue recently I cleaned (and moved but not very much) the butterfly.

Since then I have noticed that when moving the car idles at about 1500 on gear change but as soon as you drop below about 5mph it goes down to 800 with the AC on and 700 with it off.

Thinking its meant to do this as it always behaves the same, cant say I ever paid it any attention before cleaning. Can anyone else confirm theirs does the 1500 idle while moving with the clutch down?

Edit: By the way cant say this 1500 has ever caused me any issues if its not meant to do that lol

Edited by longsh07

thanks, will try it again tomorrow - i have done it successfully before. The problem with the revs not dropping below 1500 is that you cant simply lift off to slow down (depending what gear youre in) you have to declutch - this is around town and going slowly mostly. The revs should drop quickly to idle no matter what speed youre doing.

Does any one know what the effect of moving the butterfly is? - should i disconnect the battery before doing the pedal dance?

Does an uprev help with this type of thing?

just looked at a youtube video - "24 hour battery reset and idle air relearn 350z 2007 nissan" - now worried i might need a new ecu

LOL, stop your panicing. Honestly you will be able to sort it out your just not doing it right. First time I did it, it took me about 2hours :lol:

Where are you as I or a nearby member may be able to pop up and help you :thumbs:

Thanks for all the help - took me about 10 goes in the end! For something so simple it has the capacity to really go awry - got it all done a couple of times at least, then disaster - revved the engine during the 20 sec idle period!!, another effort ended when i forgot to dip the clutch and was wondering why it wouldnt start!

Anyway it seems tons better, idling at 800 with ac on and no problems during my test drive - no flaring of revs when declutching, much smoother tooling around the village - so hopefully i havent fried the ecu!

Right, just the oil leak to sort, drivers seat to refurb, front wings to polish........

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help - took me about 10 goes in the end! For something so simple it has the capacity to really go awry - got it all done a couple of times at least, then disaster - revved the engine during the 20 sec idle period!!, another effort ended when i forgot to dip the clutch and was wondering why it wouldnt start!

Anyway it seems tons better, idling at 800 with ac on and no problems during my test drive - no flaring of revs when declutching, much smoother tooling around the village - so hopefully i havent fried the ecu!

Right, just the oil leak to sort, drivers seat to refurb, front wings to polish........

You car wouldn't do anything if you had fried it. Your good to go :thumbs:

Lighten up Blocky :)

Honestly mate, I'm the happiest guy out there.

Just people say one thing and then do the same thing themselves.

Sorry if I've upset you - and apologies, especially to the OP for making an off-topic post. I was just trying to be a bit amusing - stupid really. I'll try to avoid doing it again.

Lighten up Blocky :)

Honestly mate, I'm the happiest guy out there.

Just people say one thing and then do the same thing themselves.

Sorry if I've upset you - and apologies, especially to the OP for making an off-topic post. I was just trying to be a bit amusing - stupid really. I'll try to avoid doing it again.

Don't be silly. Just having some banter.

• 4 weeks later...