Ideal fitment?

Scott TMN

Put the 245 on the front and buy some 265 for the rear, then when the front wear out you already have another pair :D

Seriously though, square setup of 245 all round won't work, the traction control will think the rears are spinning too fast and lock up the power which can be pretty dangerous in situations where it really doesn't need to activate.

It measures the speed of the front wheels to the rear, so if the car is moving, the smaller front tyre had to spin more times to travel the same distance as the rear. If they are travelling at the same rpm then the car will think the rears are going too fast in comparison to the front and TC will kick in.

:thinking:

Would that not then mean there is more stretch on the front? With 245 F as 265 R?

Also I don't see how tyre width will affect the rolling radius? Would this TC issue not be more likely with say different profile tyres?

I heard that a sqaure setup will mean more oversteer. But I don't track the zed and I'm no hooligan on the roads anyway..

This is a tough one :lol:

Cheers

:thinking:

Also I don't see how tyre width will affect the rolling radius? Would this TC issue not be more likely with say different profile tyres?

I heard that a sqaure setup will mean more oversteer. But I don't track the zed and I'm no hooligan on the roads anyway..

Cheers

Tyre width effects the rolling radius because the profile dimension is a percentage of the width. i.e. 275/35/ the 35 profile is 35% of 275mm.

And yes, a square set up with encourage more oversteer. :drive1

Standard tyres are 225/45/18 and 245 45/18

The 45 is tyre sidewall % compared to width.

So the 225s have a side wall of 101mm

The 245s have a side wall of 110mm

Bigger sidewall, large circumfrance!!

The TC is set up to work on these sizes.

Now a 245/40/18 has a sidewall off 98, and if you use them front and back,the TC will detect that the rears are spinning and cut power.

Thats why if you use the 245/40s on front, you need an equivalent tyre on the back of roughly a 106 side wall. The nearest tyre will be a 265/40/18.

The stretch between a 9.5 and 10 inch rim wont really have a noticable effect on tyre wall size.

There are a few online calculators - and above is only a rough calculations.

***See Mcgoo beat me too it***

Edited by aidan

What Aidan said, you'll not notice the stretch difference with those tyres. You'll have a 20mm thinner tyre on a 12.7mm thinner rim, so only 7.3mm more stretch, 3.65mm per side.

Edited by KyleR

At a guess (and per ebay prices) - 100/120 for both. Probably not what you where hoping for. But you could always look for a used set 265/40s (esp if cash is tight at mo) - but its a gamble as you never know what you get unless you can view the used tyres in question.

Another option might be to visit a used tyre dealer (if theres one near you). No doubt he'd do you a deal and PX the 245s for 265s....might work out the cheapest (easiest) options.

OR

Sell the 4 yu have and stump up the cash for a new set tyres in specific size...and bung it all on the credit card till next month. Worry about it then.

Good luck.

Edited by aidan

No not really what I am hoping for! lol I found a pair of 265's from a shop, at a good price, 1 has no repairs and the other has '1 patch repair' this would be ideal but am dubious of part worns...

Thats a good shout about visiting a tyre dealer though, ill see if i can call round some places today. :)

well that was my initial thinking, and i am still looking second hand, but 9 times out of 10 they are not either right colour, or even more so wrong offsets so further money will have to be spent on spacers. But i certainly havnt ruled it out if the right ones come along :thumbup:

Here are some rears to get refurbed in the right colour: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rota-GTR-Drift-10j-x-19-5x114-3-et20-Gunmetal-Nissan-Toyota-Alloy-Wheels-x2-/281164263259?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item4176b22f5b

I'm aware the last 2 are 19's by the way, but £700 is a bargain for 4 new rims plus whatever you can get the rears paint matched for.

Edited by KyleR

Here are some rears to get refurbed in the right colour: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rota-GTR-Drift-10j-x-19-5x114-3-et20-Gunmetal-Nissan-Toyota-Alloy-Wheels-x2-/281164263259?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item4176b22f5b

I'm aware the last 2 are 19's by the way, but £700 is a bargain for 4 new rims plus whatever you can get the rears paint matched for.

Cheers for the links Kyle! Getting them in a pair was defiantly something I didn't put a thought too! Took a look at them rears, was around 400 on eBay, looked on driftworks and you can get them new in the right colour for just shy of 500. I think you would probably end up paying nearly that overall by time you get them sprayed? I think it's all timing, just when the right ones come up, if they were all right colour like you say £700 for a new set is very good indeed! I think unless ridisouly cheap they need to be in the right colour to make it worthwhile? I'll be defiantly keeping an eye out for some pairs from now on though :)

Cheers again

Full range of Rota wheels available from us... :)

Hi CS, I did have a look at your site but only saw 19's? Can you tell me how much I'm looking at for:

Rota Grid Drift In Bronze

10j et 15

9.5j et 20

Cheers :)