Banana arm woes

bpmjames

Hey guys

What a day I had yesterday! Last week i set out to do my banana arm bushes. Started stripping everything down until I came to the balljoint nut on thr passenger side. Well to say it was ceased is an understatement and my 6 sided socket decided to take a spin and rounded the nut off so everything went back together for another day.

Zmanalex came to my aid and sent me new nuts and cones sharpish so now all was left to do was get the nut off.

Yesterday was the day of reckoning and after struggling like hell for over 3 hours with hammers and chisels (sp?) I decided to take the whole corner off the car so I could get it in the vice. I finally got the nut off but it now loois like this.

bysu3aby.jpg

Once I had the passenger side back together I set about sorting the driver side. I was wary of the nut but it came off easy. The next problem occurred when I found the crush tube inside the Bush was ceased to the stud. Out came the hammers again and the grinder and the swearing until it finally looked like this.

3ara6ana.jpg

vy6e3yqa.jpg

So the point of this thread is to say be cautious when attempting this. I'm a fairly skilled mechanic and it took me a total of 10 hours constant work.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

The two ways we've found work well is to weld a length of 1" box section to the tube, then with with car in the air stick a big bolt through the box and hammer the tube down. Failing that pull the arm off the bush so you're left with the tube on the chassis. Cut off the rubber and use a hydraulic puller to pull the tube off the chassis.