Clutch slipping after service?

Micky

Hi Guys,

Would really appreciate some advice on what is turning out to be a rather frustrating (and potentially very expensive) day.

Today my ‘05 350z has been for a P2 service at a reputable main Nissan dealer which I have nothing but praise for following my previous experiences with them.

The drive up was uneventful and apart from a heavy clutch and slightly blowing exhaust, they reported no other issues.

However, on the way back (a different route which called for a slightly more spirited drive) I noticed what appeared to be the clutch slipping in 4th and 5th whenever I put my foot down from around 40-50mph. Upon booting it, the revs appear to jump up ~1k before actual speed of the car picked up. As soon as I noticed it for the second time I quickly retreated to ‘pootle home mode’ as the last thing I wanted to do is cause any further wear/damage.

Two questions:-

1 – Is this definitely the clutch going? I.e. is there anything else that could cause it (because a friend of the family who is a mechanic took it out this pm and said it felt fine…which I was very surprised to hear)?

and

2 – As I’ve never noticed any clutch problems before – is this just complete coincidence or is there anything that could have happened as part of the P2 service which might have caused this?

Appreciate any feedback

Mike

I hope your Nissan Service Dept is better than my mates one when he took his 370Z in for a service, he returned to pick it up and

found some spotty 18 year "Herbert" from the garage "drifting it" around a roundabout outside the garage, when asked what the f**c he was

doing ..he said road testing it after the service...!!!! Hope yours did not have the same experience. :scare: :scare:

As per Wills comment, if some **** has been burning it up out back then then they could have done damage to the clutch? I would NEVER use a main dealer simply because they hire the cheapest labour they can and charge stupid rates just because they have a Brand name on the door. Having family who have been in the business for over half a century they all say the same thing, well dressed sales man behind the counter, YTS kid given free reign on your car behind the scenes. I have heard umpteen stories of people dropping their cars off at dealerships only to see their own car drive past them as they are out later in the day with some kid revving the crap out of it.

To your question, if you are in a low gear (try 3rd at 15/20mph) for the speed and floor it and the revs pick up and the car doesnt gain speed you are looking at a slipping clutch. If its slipping its a full clutch and flywheel replacement.