Snapped bolts

mrchic

Whilst going through the process of removing my rear bumper i snapped two 10mm bolts at the very bottom of the bumper.(each side)

In hindsight maybe i should of sprayed some WD, but the bolts were turning.

Would you guys attempt to remove them, or drill new holes adjacent.

there probably two small to drill out?

Thanks

Not quite what I meant.

With the screw head being small. I meant to drill out to almost the diameter of the screw itself (it can be done with a steady hand).

Then if needed use an appropriate size tap to put the thread back in (I don't know the thickness of what it screws into, so don't know if it is actually threaded or not.

You can try them - grind the end flat (or file) centre punch then drill it out I start small and work up to as big as I can - try the extractor if that fails drill to just below thread size and run a tap through it - sorted :thumbs:

For what it's worth, that screw extraction set from screwfix is crap. I bought them for use on another car that had a sheared bolt and they snapped on first use. Bought a set of cobalt drill bits instead and they went through the metal like a hot knife through butter.

Edited by Jp606
  • Like 1