False Economy?

Terence Bower

So youre telling me your clutch is slipping because the standard flywheel is retaining heat produced by the engine, and a thinner flywheel will prevent it? You dont just think the clutch might be worn out ........... does it only happen when the engine is hot? This might be something Nissan thought of when designing the car, you never know ;)

C'mon man, if youre a race engineer then you know that's not the case, maybe on a finely tuned formula car it could be but this is an overweight, downtuned GT car we are talking about here, not once has anyone I know changed the mass of their flywheel to make a clutch stop slipping, thats ridiculous. :lol:

Oh, and BTW, thickness and mass have considerably less bearing on heat conduction and retention than material and environment but you know that as well I expect :)

Clutch slipping? Err,no,just the pedal dropping when the thing is hot. RBF/Braided hose has slightly improved it,but I want a more responsive engine as well,which is something I know will improve with a fly wheel thats half the weight. Cheers

Youre going to replace the whole clutch assembly because the pedal is dropping when its hot? I'm not trying to poke fun or take the **** but you need to stop listening to whoever is giving you advice, as RTB says its going to be fluid related, not hardware related.

Lightened flywheel will indeed make the engine rev faster but will also reduce engine braking, and make it a bit jerkier when moving off from a dead stop. It will also increase clutch wear slightly due to more slip from low revs :)

The issue is not the fluid its the cylinders they need replacing, its a common issue with zeds especially ones that see track work, as the cylinders arent up to the job and as the heat builds they sieze and the pedal drops. its generally a sign that they are worn. if you dont track the car and drive sensibly you probably wont see the issue return unless the weather is really hot and your pushing it down back roads.

with regards to lighten flywheels all the ones i've seen fitted to zeds chatter, and increase cabin noise; and with cars that i've driven, the more peformance focused the clutch is the worse the car is to drive as a daily driver. but if its track work your doing its not as much an issue.

if your tracking the zed you need to improve the brakes from standard and if possible lighten the car...alot she's a heavy girl good feedback but she's not designed as a track car, she's a GT cruiser. and all that extra weight puts alot of strain on the brakes on track.

• Like 1