Anyone any experience of VW Beetles?

AndyC

My missus has got her heart set on a new style Beetle and just wondering if anyone has any experience or knows if there is anything particular to look out for?

Or even better if someone knows of a decent one being sold?

She's looking to spend around £5-6k ish, which we reckon should get her something around a W plate or poss slightly newer. black, silver or blue, with a half decent spec. Upto 50k (lower the better obviously) but would consider upto around 60k for the right car.

Thanks for any help :thumbs:

Thanks Kev. You're right, a mkIV golf in drag iirc.

I know VW are legendary for decent build so wasn't expecting too many problems, but you never know!

How much works needed on the Karmann, or is it already done?

VW obtained a legendary reliability name thanks to the Mk1 and Mk2 Golf and they ride on that history, very good marketing... but I will say they are good well engineered cars ... Apart from that the driver sits in the centre of the car and has no boot and the biggest dash panel i have ever seen ...

but always worth checking for any major items such as recalls

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recall ... search.asp

VW had a bit of an issue with O2 sensors and even issued a recal in the US I cannot remember if they did it in Europe (they don't necessarily need to ... different laws..)

1999, 2000 and 2001 model year Volkswagen Golf, Jetta

and New Beetle.

Engines Involved: 4 cylinder 2.0L gasoline

Total Number of US Vehicles: 324,000 (85,000 from State of California)

Description of Problem: Vehicles may have a malfunctioning Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor (O2 sensor) which causes higher levels of

hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide than Federal emission

standards allow.

My missus has got her heart set on a new style Beetle and just wondering if anyone has any experience or knows if there is anything particular to look out for?

Or even better if someone knows of a decent one being sold?

She's looking to spend around £5-6k ish, which we reckon should get her something around a W plate or poss slightly newer. black, silver or blue, with a half decent spec. Upto 50k (lower the better obviously) but would consider upto around 60k for the right car.

Thanks for any help :thumbs:

This any good:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/163178.htm

:)

Thanks Kev. You're right, a mkIV golf in drag iirc.

I know VW are legendary for decent build so wasn't expecting too many problems, but you never know!

How much works needed on the Karmann, or is it already done?

It's had a cosmetic repaint, so exterior is ok for now. The car is also very solid so worth spending money on it. The interior is a mess though. Horrible Ford Recaros, so we've got hold of some original US High Back Bug seats so going for a full re-trim in original VW vynyl, but black but with red piping. Then over the winter possibly a strip down and full repaint. Also got a oil leak but that's pretty common on Bugs...

It's had a cosmetic repaint, so exterior is ok for now. The car is also very solid so worth spending money on it. The interior is a mess though. Horrible Ford Recaros, so we've got hold of some original US High Back Bug seats so going for a full re-trim in original VW vynyl, but black but with red piping. Then over the winter possibly a strip down and full repaint. Also got a oil leak but that's pretty common on Bugs...

Wouldn't mind checking out the finished job, sounds B)

Wouldn't mind checking out the finished job, sounds B)

I'll post some pictures of the interior when done if you like. :thumbs: