N.A.S cloning software needed :)

neo

Can anyone recommend some software to clone 2 x 2tb n.a.s drives in raid 0 ext3 format to 2 x 2tb drives (different brands to the ones that have the data) both are sata II/III???

reason being the ones i have are starting to get noisy so thought it best to back them up before the worst happens.

thanks in advance for any recommendations :)

As raid 0 is striping you won't be able to swap a single disk, maybe you should consider upgrading the NAS at the same time as they're fairly cheap these days. At least then you can use the old NAS as a backup to your raid 0 solution as if you lose 1 disk you'll lose the data on both. Another alternative would be a 4GB+ USB hdd and then sell it afterwards.

On a side note, if you often remove large files (movies etc) I'd strongly suggest switching to ext4 while you're at it.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah replacing both drives, cloning one drive at the moment, gonna take about 9hrs, using some free software from easeUS, have used their partition programs before which work great hopefully this should do the trick :-)

If the cloning fails then i`ll look into another nas enclosure.

Well 22 hrs of cloning both drives and

the new drives aren't recognised in the nas even tho it says i only have 20% left :surrender:

will look for another nas soon

Yeah, that was with easeus, when i started the cloning process it did say the drives were a 'unknown' format, should have realised from the start it might not work :blush:

had a very quick look at clonezilla, looks a little complicated from the screenshots tho.

I'm now considering switching to nas4free - a free software based NAS. Build my own, not tied to any specific vendor.

That's exactly what i will be doing, as we've got quite a few old pc's knocking about at work. The only thing i'll have to buy is a raid card, unless i can salvage one from an old server, hope to use 5-6 hard disks.

The whole point of software RAID with nas4free is not to use a raid card surely? As long as your motherboard has enough Sata ports.

It is, but the machine i'm planning on using has only 2 sata ports, I'll 'borrow' a raid card from work :) I could get a sata controller i guess but that isn't something i will be able to 'borrow'.......

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update -

copied all the data to some spare HD's, got a new NAS, a zxyel nsa325, a updated and much faster version of my current NAS, did google a few different makes n models and this seemed be the best bang for me buck at £70 inc deilvery :)

currently copying the data back, 10 connections at around 4mb each.

thanks again for replies and help :thumbs: