IT Help

Dan

I believe its possible to make my computer turn on when I click the mouse button. Can someone tell me how this is done ?

Thanks in advance.

Dan,

Do you mean from completely off? Mmm not sure on this, would have to be a very recent machine with very good power management options. Might only be certain manufacturers that do it.

Have to admit I've not seen it from completely cold (off). Seen obviously from standby etc......

Its a BIOS feature, it means you have to turn it on OUTSIDE of windows. When you start the PC up it will say 'Press ??? to enter setup'. ??? is usually DEL, F1, F11, and sometimes esc. try DEL first. Turn on PC, and press and hold one of those keys BEFORE the system beep. Should enter 'setup'. Look for Power settings, ACPI settings or somthing along those lines. You should find an option in there you can turn on. Then choose 'Exit Saving changed'

Never done it myself, but, thats how its done. The turn on though , i am sure, only works when coming back from a standby state, not a start from completely off. Have to use a power button for that. . . i may be wrong though

J

Its a BIOS feature, it means you have to turn it on OUTSIDE of windows. When you start the PC up it will say 'Press ??? to enter setup'. ??? is usually DEL, F1, F11, and sometimes esc. try DEL first. Turn on PC, and press and hold one of those keys BEFORE the system beep. Should enter 'setup'. Look for Power settings, ACPI settings or somthing along those lines. You should find an option in there you can turn on. Then choose 'Exit Saving changed'

Never done it myself, but, thats how its done. The turn on though , i am sure, only works when coming back from a standby state, not a start from completely off. Have to use a power button for that. . . i may be wrong though

J

Yeah thats what I mean, only from standby...... never from "off" :thumbs:

I dont think its possible to program from completely off, unless you have a third button on your mouse and connect the nessecary wires fixed to the on/off button to it. :blush: Ive done a similar thing for my carputer when it turns off. but dont think thats what you want

J

correct, I've set it up so that when I press the space bar the PC powers up B) and it is from OFF, PC powered down not on stand-by (of course not off from the wall switch though :lol:)

well that would make sense then , Dan - im pretty sure your going to need a ps2 mouse (most are usb nowadays) , it would need setting up in BIOS as mentioned above, oh by the way i have a lifetimes supply of microsoft usb optical mice + adapters to convert to ps2 should anyone need one

This is very PC specific and will apply only to newer PCs, and usually PS2 only. Certain motherboard/PC manfacturers have basically told the PC to keep power going to the mouse/KB even when power is off, and this means they can send the signal to the PC to power it on. My Samsung lappy supports power on from a small remote they supply with the laptop, which is very cool indeed. I have seen some PCs also support power on from USB but never managed to get it to work in any PC I tried to set up.

Let us know what PC/laptop/motherboard you have and we can do some digging into the settings you might need to set :)