Pioneer SPH DA-100? Your thoughts?

OV53

Alreet!

Considering getting one of these to upgrade the cack Bose unit that is in at the moment. Has anyone got any experience with this particular unit? My main interest with it would be to do with the apps feature as I use Spotify for my tunes....can you access this?

If anyone has any better suggestions for head units that are around the £200 mark then I'm all ears!

Peace

Do it nice or do it twice!

If you've got an iPhone 5 check exactly what cables you'll need from pioneer AND apple. They recently updated the firmware for my (different model) Pioneer to support app radio for iPhone 5, but it requires at least one cable from each company to make it work. They're not like £7.99 either. GL.

I've got a Galaxy Note 2 aswell and looked into this unit but it probably promises more than it delivers.

The main thing i was looking out for was bluetooth streaming - because if you get a good car phone holder, then you have all sound output to car system with the visuals left to the Note 2 phone. That way you can use the Note as:

• Satnav (I think Co-Pilot is around £30, but I haven't looked into it yet)
  • Media player - store vids on your phone, everything is digital nowadays and you'll have lots of media on the Note 2 anyway
  • Music player - pick the app that you like best, and use that on yor phone rather than be limited by ICE manufacturers design
  • Make calls etc as usual
  • Anything else really!

I was considering an android based head unit, but the cheapest one I could find was a cheap chinese one and tbh I don't really trust the quality of them (I got one in my car right now that has lots of faetures that look good on paper but it performs badly). Even that is £300, which i find surprising coz you could just buy a £100 unit and a Nexus 7 for £130 and you'd get the same thing. I was considering this too (simple system + Nexus 7) but it would only be worth it if it was professionally set up with no wires hanging out and integrated into the dash, etc. Cost of installation would be too much (if even possible!).

So in the end I just decided on a semi-decent system with bluetooth streaming. Was going to go for a Halfords one for around £150 but went for a Clarion VX402E which I found online for £255 (usual going price of around £350) but only coz I can't resist a good bargain when I see one! Check my other post for more details of that. Going to hook my phone up to it and use my phone for controls, and leave only sound output to the system.

Edited by ChiefChavley
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i installed a pioneer double din head-unit in my Z last year and had major problems with the loudness, its a problem with the signal being sent to the bose amp from the head-unit. some people install a signal booster but i had problems fitting it behind the head-unit so i gave up in the end haha, all i use now is the bose head-unit with the iPod hack, cant go wrong as i use spotify on my phone and just plug it in sounds pretty good also!

Right......may have to reassess as I have a Samsung Note 2. Any suggestions?

If you've got a note 2 its an excellent choice. If you root your phone and get the arliberator app from the play store then you just control your phone from the screen.

If you're around london you're welcome to demo mine anytime :)

Right......this has tossed a spanner reet in the old works this like because I heard not to go near this if I have an Android phone. The £60 cable required put me off a bit too like.

With regards to rooting my phone.....I'm completely scheißer with the modern windows and phone systems. Gimme windows 95 any day of the week!

If you can point me in the right direction then I'm willing to give it a whack!

Right......this has tossed a spanner reet in the old works this like because I heard not to go near this if I have an Android phone. The £60 cable required put me off a bit too like.

With regards to rooting my phone.....I'm completely scheißer with the modern windows and phone systems. Gimme windows 95 any day of the week!

If you can point me in the right direction then I'm willing to give it a whack!

really? who said that? This is the best unit for android phones :D

You dont need to buy the official pioneer cable for £60 I got a cheap one off ebay for about £6 iirc lol Just use a usb spiitter off the back off the headunit to supply power to the hdmi and charge the phone.

Rooting is really quick and easy once you've done it once, but the 1st time its quite a lot to get your head around (looks more complicated than it really is). have a look on xda forum in the note 2 section,

Can you play Spotify through it? This was my biggest hang up because the bell ends in Halfords couldn't answer that question and I couldn't find it myself. If I can't then there is no way to play my music because I just can't be arsed with downloading thousands of MP3s again.

If you're getting them to install it for you its only £30 but you'll need all the fitting kit, i done mine myself but took me the whole day lol

Have you got the Bose Sound System with your Z and if so did you have any problems with the sound as I can't get any with this model and the recommended cables from Halfords which is frustrating......

Jordster

If you're getting them to install it for you its only £30 but you'll need all the fitting kit, i done mine myself but took me the whole day lol

Have you got the Bose Sound System with your Z and if so did you have any problems with the sound as I can't get any with this model and the recommended cables from Halfords which is frustrating......

Jordster

yep I have the bose system, no problems with sound at all, its alot better and louder then the bose headunit, especially after doing the "buster mod"