Import Information - Mileage

Ceejay29

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that a few import adverts state that the current vehicle mileage reading is wrong as the initial percentage was calculated in KM within its native country. Therefore, for example, it is actually 60,000 instead of it being the 80,000 miles recorded. This does make sense, but for some reason I was under the impression that the mileage was converted at the same time as the speedometer was? Also, how accurate would you deem the current odometer calculation of an import car, by this I mean the its calculation of distance today, as I have a feeling the speedometer probably isn't spot on which I would suggest calculates a higher or lower distance?

Thanks

p.s. One other question; I am trying to locate the original mileage of the car when it was imported. I have found a 'certificate of cancellation of registration' but it more or less contains generic information, a chassis number and the export owner. Do you know if the DVLA would hold this historical information on the car, or is it pretty much surplus to them?

Edited by Ceejay29

I am pretty sure that mileage is not changed when its imported.

For example, when i purchased my JDM it had 39,000 on the clock, for me to work out exactly how many miles i just checked the mileage in the service history when it was imported.

I would say the Speedo is as accurate as any UK car, it will always be slightly out, to get a true reading of this you would need to use GPS to determine your speed.

• Like 1

mine came over with 19000km after being converted it then started covering miles so after 10 miles it would read 19010miles but would have only done 11410miles. If that makes sense?

I think you can trace old MOT's now? so go back to the first one for a rough mileage off it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

As for accuracy my JDM reads 76/7mph when my sat nav is at 70mph.Mysatnav is right. Therefore if speedo is 9-10% fast then mileage is overstated the same amount!!

I got my correct odometer reading from its 1st MOT ( convert that from kilometers to miles) and then everything after that is miles. Your speedo may say Km/M but it has been changed to MPH to import Mine has alittle black sticker over the K on the odometer face.

The small dial pod on dashboard says Km/H but its the same as your speedo MpH, its also fast by the same amount on mine.

JohnUKVetteNut

From what i remember when I bought my JDM Integra there should be a 'JUMVEA' certificate which confirms the import mileage. This will confirm the milage in kilometers. Mine read 98k (ish) kilometers so I know that it had done approx 62k miles at point of import.

From import the odometer was changed so it clocked miles but they are not allowed to change the number on them (had to keep it at 98k). This means you will have a mixture of KM and miles so make sure you get this JUMVEA certificate to provide the initial KM milage and then the subsequent MOT's which confirms the miles you ahve done since ownership in the UK.

Tbh there are A LOT of JDM cars that come over to the UK/for sale in UK that all have around 60k on the clock. End of the day you cant ever prove it hasnt been clocked and I reckon a lot of them have been. The Integra I had didnt miss a beat and I drive that thing hard!!

Edited by bamdc2

Also my Integra speedo was 10% out as well. Prob a JDM thing!

Alot of cars are out about 10%?

Also its true most come over with 60k miles but why import a car with 200k miles? It makes more sense to get one with moderate/low miles.

Edited by Dblock