Cooling fans- issue

GT Driver

hi guys,

Looking at the 2 fans, the one on the drivers side is spinning at a reasonably low speed, while the other one towards the passenger side was not moving at all. I think I could hear a click as if the relay was kicking in, but the motor did not turn the fan. I have seen this passenger side fan working before, a couple of weeks back, it used to come on for a strong burst for a few seconds before switching off.

Edited by GT Driver

Switching on the aircon usually starts one of the fans.

However, to test the fan motors, leave your car idle (aircon off) and keep an eye on the water temp. If/when the temp gauge rises above the mid point the fans should have started. If they have not, give the centre of each fan a tap, with say, the wooden handle of a hammer. The tap should start up your fans....if they are faulty.

You can either fix them (recent thread on here) or PM zmanalex for some replacement units.

Good luck.

I have just fixed mines and they are working perfect. One of the motors had one brush stuck and was running lazy, the other had 3 stuck and not running at all. Its a bit of a pain to get them out. Make sure u have a coolant pipe clamp for the top coolant pipe and a rubber glove or the likes to tie over the top of the radiator to stop the coolant escaping too much.

• 2 weeks later...

It's defo the fan motors. There's 4 brushes in them. If one sticks it can be sluggish if more are stuck then the may make intermittent causing them to run poorly. Get them stripped and rebuilt and you will be onto a winner!

Mines run like jets from a plane now lol

• Like 1