The search begins, things to look out for

csscallum

A bit later than I hoped but this weekend I will begin my search for the (my) perfect Zed. I've decided to go for a pre-06, just to save on the huge tax jump. I've had a look at the New Members/Potential New Buyers FAQ page and I've had a scan through the forum but can anyone give me some extra tips to look out for? Perhaps based on personal experience.

Or maybe I'm just being too cautious based on past experience...

My advise is to go for a facelift despite the tax. Within a few months you'll want the facelift rear led lights which will cost the tax difference for near 2 years, then you'll want more power, facelift has 20 more bhp which will cost you atleast an uprev at over £400 plus maybe an exhaust.

Then there's the facelift headlights. Second hand they're about £800 and well worth it, they look so much better. Also 95% of facelifts have rays, fewer pre 06 have them, there's another £500 you'll want to spend and finally the interior which has better plastics. All this for less than a grand more and £150 ish a year...

I went with a 04 for the same (tax reasons) but the first thing I did was a £300 set of LED rears, as above, that's 2 years worth of tax, but then again you will have spent 1-2k more on the car initially, swings and roundabouts.

There's a thread in here somewhere about things to look for, but from me, check the rear axel doesn't click, and open the bonnet and move the rubber strips on the actual bonnet, make sure there is no bubbling under there as it can migrate through the metal and ruin the bonnet.

Get whatever you buy on a test drive over some nasty pot-holed roads to hear any odd noises from the suspension, banana arm bush failing are common but very noticeable over bumps.

Check for good brand tyres on all 4 wheels (preferably the same brand and model of course, but at very least, same brand over an axle), budget tyres may indicate the car hasn't been looked after in other areas too.

And if you can afford it, get the car checked over by an AA guy, could save you a fortune in the long run and any honest seller/trader wont have a problem with you doing this, if they reject, walk away as there will be something theyre hiding!

By no means an exhaustive list - but some things I noticed on the pre 06 zeds I saw (and by the way these are mainly cosmetic, nothing serious...):

- Stone chips

- Paint on the wiper arms peeling

- Gear stick worn

- Chips on drivers side armrest/metal panel on steering wheel

IMO, would just go on condition. FWIW - I never even knew tail lights were different until I joined the forum. Mines is a 2005 with Xenons and I've never thought..."hey I whant some 2007 lights".

I suppose stand next to each other - the model changes might be more noticable. The main one I notice now (and like) is the bonnet on newer models.

IMO, would just go on condition. FWIW - I never even knew tail lights were different until I joined the forum. Mines is a 2005 with Xenons and I've never thought..."hey I whant some 2007 lights".

I suppose stand next to each other - the model changes might be more noticable. The main one I notice now (and like) is the bonnet on newer models.

Very true - recently visited a friend with a pre-06 and you don't notice how many little changes there are to the interior and exterior until they are side by side - so it's really whether it would bother you knowing they were different, or accepting that most people will never notice

(headlights, sidelights, indicators, bonnet, taillights, grill, splitter, cup holders, ash tray (?), radio screen... etc)