Prep for spoiler advice

jumping350

After peeling off my carbon wrap half the paint came off with it...some bits peel others dont. but theres about 65% paint still on it

My mate usually helps me but hes gone away for 2 weeks and left his phone here!!! im going to spray it gloss black

Ive done sanding before but never really paid attention to what he said about the methods

ive got wet and dry 240 400 800 and 1200

What do i do first wet sand it? with 240 until smooth and then 400 etc

do i do one wet then one dry?

this wet sanding has thrown me off a bit :blink:

any help appreciated

Right here is my lone ranger attempt so far to do this

Day one:

Used 240 sandpaper to try and get the peeling paint level with the rest..i wet sanded followed by little dry then wet again and kept doing this till it got a smooth to the touch finish across all dodgy bits

I then degreased the whole spoiler heres what happened:

WP_20130522_001_zpsb7df528c.jpg

WP_20130522_002_zpsd9e1bb88.jpg

Day two:

I continued sanding using the same method of wet and dry sanding as yesterday but used a 400 paper to get the spoiler ready for primer this took me quite a while to do also as had to make sure you get as much roughness out of spoiler as possible at this stage having to go down a grade of paper a couple of times and then back up to get some more dodgy lumps out.

Here is the result

WP_20130522_003_zpsa9a36c90.jpg

Day three

I degreased the spoiler again and gave it 2 coats of primer to the surface

I left this to dry and once dry I wet sanded the spoiler with 800 paper all over once , cleaned/degreased

then did the same again with a 1200

and this is what im up to just got to degrease and give first layer of paint

WP_20130523_002_zpsbb0a6373.jpg

Day four:

Multiple layers of paint and many fumes inhaled later :blink: i ended up with 3 spray masks on :lol: plenty of dust about even in a booth but i didnt know how to work everything so didnt try.

removed it and left to dry for 6 hours

Not perfect but was never going to be, but happy with my first solo attempt..no runs smooth just dust and crap was hard to overcome. Most importantly no paint reaction or bubbling

WP_20130526_001_zpse651d6eb.jpg

Day Five:

After paint dried it was lacqering time which i gave 3 decent coats (should of probably done one more but to late now)

no runs even finish

WP_20130528_001_zps9c3c16bc.jpg

WP_20130528_005_zpsde4cd75e.jpg

Left to dry for 36 hours brought home and will suspend from roof in boiler room at work for 2 weeks then onto a light fine sand and a buff up

Edited by jumping350