Engine Rattle/Tap

josh2005

Hey everyone!

I've noticed today an annoying tap/rattle coming from the engine of my 2004 350z.

It's always been serviced regularly and has 50,000 miles so not too old!

I think the rattle only seems to be there at low revs and when idling really and sounds ok when generally driving along but this may just be me not really hearing it over the exhaust, I also haven't noticed any change in performance in general when driving.

I didn't know if anyone had encountered similar issues and whether really it is still safe to drive around?

Any help appreciated!

Could be anything really, could be the fuel damper they can make a noise that tends to be noticeable at low RPM / idle

and work your way up from there, something loose, cam chain tensioner big ends (unlikely they get louder as you rev or as you come off rev)

can you get a video and or be more precise as to the area of the engine bay - front back etc?

I would have said it's from the front of the engine near the top really, it's definitely above the height of where the belts are anyway.

Sounds as if it's on the passenger side but can't be 100% sure.

I am pretty sure it doesn't get louder as it revs but I think as the revs fall to an idle it becomes apparent if that makes sense!

I will try and get a video tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Sorry i've been away for a while!

Yes it was a poorly fitted Aircon belt, it had only been on there for about 100 miles and it looked like it was falling to bits as it was 1 rib out on the pulley as Alex said above, thanks for all the help on this Alex!