Free air subwoofer in Bose location

kris

So bolting a 10inch sub in the Bose subwoofer recess will sound terrible, it needs to be boxed etc.

But would a free air subwoofer sound ok? I know alot of you audio perverts don't like free air subs, but a decent one with the recess dynamatted properly sounds like an easier option than custom building a box that will fit in the recess. So has this been done? Would it work?

And before anybody says anything I don't want a sub in the boot, I would like it nice and tucked away.

Edited by kris

He's right^

Mr G you said that on a Public Forum you know!!!!!!!!!!!!

@OP not the easiest space to dynamatt the centre divide is not solid and does not go end to end plus you have the petrol pump access panel in the bottom and a lot of wires in there.

With a bit of work should be possible thou and some wadding would probably help in the back where the angle is tight?

Let us know how it goes :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

The bose sub does have alot more to give if driven from an aftermarket headunit.

Already got one in :)

He's right^

Mr G you said that on a Public Forum you know!!!!!!!!!!!!

@OP not the easiest space to dynamatt the centre divide is not solid and does not go end to end plus you have the petrol pump access panel in the bottom and a lot of wires in there.

With a bit of work should be possible thou and some wadding would probably help in the back where the angle is tight?

Let us know how it goes :thumbs:

I've done a bit of research on the American forums and I'm still deciding whether its less trouble to find a box with the right dimensions.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Go for it, many laughed at me for getting a flat sub with no box but those thaf have heard it laugh no more :lol:

I've seen these before, is that the earthquake one? Where is it mounted?

I just tried to fit an idmax10 in as its a very good free air subwoofer, but because of the angle of the baffle and the depth of the sub the magnet hits the bottom and stops it going all the way in.

I'm looking for a decent free air sub that isnt too deep, but in the meantime im gonna try a cheapo one once i get my amp in to see how it rattles first.

Edited by flamez

Mix bag of reviews on my350 but then again there is some angry ice heads on there.. Suppose it depends on how much bass you want

It's a sealed box for a start, that hole on the side isn't a port, it's a cabling hole.. So I've got to get a sub capable of working in a sealed environment with a max of 6" depth so the bass isn't going to be earth shattering.. But then again my days of booming jungle @ a K of of sound in a metro are over with :lol:

That's the plan bud :thumbs:

Bought the "full car" kit.. 6 sheets I think, just going to lay it everywhere I can.. And hope for the best. :lol:

I was looking at the JL range.. The angry across the pond wallas seem to rate them highly. And there quite reasonable on price as well

Cheers Phil

• 2 months later...

I guess it could, but the only free air sub i thought was worth using is an idmax10 unfortunately it hits the fuel tank with the magnet as its too deep. Which JL free air sub are you looking at?

I have now removed the baffle and probably getting a box built to go in as there is a decent amount of space back there.

Edited by flamez