ahhhhh this boot is driving me nuts

Toad

I would be looking at the latch if new springs don't work. Try lowering the latch just slightly, so when you close the lid, it still latches.... There is every possibility that over time, the latch has moved upwards. I will check this on mine tomoz and let you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well... Now i can tell you for a FACT!!! It worked!! Took me litterally 2 minutes!

Pull the rubber trim off to give access to the rear plastic trim, pull the bottom of the trim outwards and carefully pull upwards and remove! Dont pull out too far though as theres an interior light on that pannel..

Once you have done that you will be at the latch!

Loosen the 2 X 12mm nuts and move the latch down as far as it will go... Tighten up, put the trim back and test :D

That will be a tenner please :D

And the next person to waste money on new springs will get a slap!!! Haha

• Like 1

right moved the main plate down slightly and its jsut working - the boot wont shut on its own weight now though it bounces - so have to keep hand on it to shut it properly - but at least it opens with one hand which is great news

not sure it will work every time - btw amstrange did you see how much those nipple are - £170 quid or something - thats a lot of money i thought the springs were expensive

Have you checked for any stiction in the hinges as it opens? Perhaps a good greasing might help here.

Also I'd say try and fine tune your latch plate placement.

Do all the free mods first before changing parts if you can help it mate, then at least you're not out of pocket when it doesn't work. :)

• Like 1

My boot experience during my ownership is -

Opened first time, did stay up 6 months in summer

Opened first time, Didn't stay up - Winter

Removed weight -

Opened first time, did stay up. - Summer

Opened first time, didn't stay up - Winter

Replaced with up-rated SGS struts-

Didn't open first time, Did stay up

Penny/rubber washer fix

Did open, did stay until another winter came

Adjusted Latch

Does open, Does stay up :clap:

Basically its a balancing act of all the above :lol:

not sure it will work every time - btw amstrange did you see how much those nipple are - £170 quid or something - thats a lot of money i thought the springs were expensive

That link was for a box of 1000 hence the high price

Yeah, it's for a massive box of them - but it was the only link I could find to the actual ones I used. I'm sure the similar sized stuff on eBay would do the trick too!

My boot experience during my ownership is -

Opened first time, did stay up 6 months in summer

Opened first time, Didn't stay up - Winter

Removed weight -

Opened first time, did stay up. - Summer

Opened first time, didn't stay up - Winter

Replaced with up-rated SGS struts-

Didn't open first time, Did stay up

Penny/rubber washer fix

Did open, did stay until another winter came

Adjusted Latch

Does open, Does stay up :clap:

Basically its a balancing act of all the above :lol:

I agree!

I think the SGS struts are slightly longer and slightly more powerful than OEM ones, so that the poppers have a harder time of pinging the tailgate off the latch. But it seems that if you can adjust the latch and re-tension the poppers then it's all good!

Am I being a massive struggler, of are the struts an absolute bugger to get off?! I've decided to go for the regassing if possible to a higher pressure, or new ones failing that, but I cannot get the ball joints off on the tailgate mount end. So I tried undoing the nut that mounts it to the tailgate. No joy with either, and I don't think I was being gentle!!