which speakers?

drginger

Ok so I have decided its time to upgrade my stereo. I already have an aftermarket head unit fitted but would like to change my front and rear speakers and would really appreciate some advice on what will sound good in the zed.

I have read some guides on here so have a rough idea what im doing just don't want to buy something that isn't much better than what I have now!

Cheers guys

Sorry to jump in but in the same situation potentially.

I'm looking to update my speakers (at some point) , although I don't feel I need to update the amp as it's loud enough, just no clarity in what I can hear.

I could do with a new head-unit as well but it's not a priority.

I used to have some Vibe speakers in an old car several years ago, they seemed ok iirc.

I'm just curious on sizes/types of speakers for front and rear ? (just to make it easier to look on some sites to gauge costs)

I went for some Hertz HSK 165 component (front) Hertz HCX 165 (rear).

At first I was bit underwhelmed, but after some sound advice (see what I've done there) from SMD and twiddling with the setup, I'm really loving them now. They seem to have opened up about after some use too. Got a little carve up job left to do on the front grills to finish the job off, but overall they sound and detail is pleasing. I would recommend them but getting the right sound is such a personal and subjective thing, so trust your own ears. It's not quite as easy to demo car kit as it is home stereo, which makes it that bit harder.

Sadly I can't advise if the slightly muddled (IMHO) sound in the bose stereo is because of the amp or drivers, so I changed both!

Cheers for the input Stu.

Speakers are indeed a completely personal, subjective area. I spent about 6 hours in one shop testing out every single monitor-speaker combination until I was happy, and even then it depends on the room/positioning/seating. At least that part is sorted as we're in the same environment :)

So the front ones are 6.5" components, the rears are 6.5" coaxial - is there another speaker hiding anywhere or is that it ?

And I presume it's a case of being careful with the depth, I don't want to cut anything up, just literally want to swap them over.

There's the sub behind the drivers seat too, though I've read on here people saying they don't have one/it's missing.

As for the sizes I believe my speakers went straight in, with the only modifying being dynamatting and mounting the speakers on MDF to isolate from the metal work and cut down (some of) the resonance. I must admit, I did nothing myself, felt more confident leaving it to a pro.

HOWEVER, please DO NOT take my word for this stuff, I'm a noob and there are lots more knowledgeable people with real hands on experience on here. I'm sure I've seen lots of threads thanking buster for work and input. Search the threads there is loads of detail.

If you are going to change the speakers you really need to pair them with a decent amp to get the best from them :thumbs:

All down to personal taste but you really don't realise how poor the 'bose' is until you swap it all over :shrug:

I have done 40k in my Zed so have definitely had my moneys worth out of my ICE

I know you are right, as it's something I'd do anyway but how can the amp affect the quality of the speakers, as it's just driving them right ?

I mean, I can imagine if it's under-powered or something is mis-matched giving weak results etc

I hardly use the stereo anyway but when I do, it's just struggling with clarity.

For clarity you need every item in the link to be of a certain standard as the system is only as good as its lesser part.

Each will be an improvement but as I said to replace the HU & speakers and not the amp would be a shame in my opinion but you could be very happy with the results and save some £ :thumbs:

• Like 1

As above.

I'm relatively new to quality car audio, but I know a bit about quality home audio and the amp makes a huge difference to your overall sound. The speakers are simply the last line in the production of sound. It starts with the media (e.g. cd or ipod), then source (the head unit/cd player), then the cables to the amp, then the amp, then the cables from the amp to the speakers, than lastly the speakers themselves. This is like a big river, flowing from source (head unit) to mouth (speaker). To get the best from the speakers everything "upstream" must be as good or better than the speakers themselves. If the head unit is crap, million pound speakers will still sound poor, likewise for the amp. Imagine if you play a rubbish tape on a great hi-fi, it can't make the tape sound great.

If the "flow" from the source is restricted along the route, you can't ever get that back downstream, it is held back by the upstream components before it ever reaches the speakers. The idea of any system is to get as true a representation from the source out of the speakers as possible, quality can only ever be lost along the way, it can't be added in.

Bit of a clumsy analogy but I think it just about makes sense!

It definitely makes sense, and is appreciated.

I guess I don't want spend money on the system (well, least possible), as really it all has to go and I don't care enough to slosh a bunch of cash on it.

I don't mind doing things over a period of time, seeing where the improvements come in but I certainly don't want to sling £500 or so in one go.

So SMD do you think its a waste of time getting new fronts and not amping them?

Not a waste of time at all, but depends on what you replace them with and what you hope to achieve really.... Bung in a pair of £50 speakers and it might be a bit better I suppose.... Stick in £200-£300 quids worth of speakers and you will not be getting anywhere near the best out of them with the stock amp....

Another analogy would be meeting a lovely looking lady, beautifully dressed, smelling fantastic.... then finding out she had a terribly unkempt lady garden, it would spoil the whole experience :dry:

That's so much better than what I said. It should be known as the "ripped out fireplace" scenario.

It definitely makes sense, and is appreciated.

I guess I don't want spend money on the system (well, least possible), as really it all has to go and I don't care enough to slosh a bunch of cash on it.

I don't mind doing things over a period of time, seeing where the improvements come in but I certainly don't want to sling £500 or so in one go.

Mine -

HU -£400

Speakers F&R - £450 (2nd hand)

4way amp + wiring - £350

Sub inc Amp - £275

Audio experience - priceless :cloud9:

• Like 2

Another analogy would be meeting a lovely looking lady, beautifully dressed, smelling fantastic.... then finding out she had a terribly unkempt lady garden, it would spoil the whole experience :dry:

That's so much better than what I said. It should be known as the "ripped out fireplace" scenario.

I never look at the fireplace when I am poking the fire ;)

I never ran any rears in my old zed. I had some shallow mount Infinity speakers in my doors with upgraded cabling,running off a 2 channel Audiobahn amp. In the boot I had a custom box & install housing a 12" Kicker L7 square sub :thumbs:

A lot of people prefer just fronts, i have tried my set up with no rears and I prefer it with the rears on maybe 30%, because of their location just behind your ears they do add something in my opinion, but some purists would disagree, all personal choice.

I was thinking on a set of hertz coaxials for 100 quid that seem to be quite popular but if it's not gonna make much difference not sure if I should. How hard is it to amp the fronts?

They will no doubt sound better but a shame not to use their full potential.... bit like going out with Cheryl Cole and only letting her shop for clothes at Primark :dry:

• Like 1

Ok so how hard is it to amp the fronts then? Think

I have an amp kicking about in the loft!

Depends where you decide to put the amp, you have to factor in routing all the wiring and cables, from battery to amp, HU to amp and amp to speakers.... I mounted mine underneath the cubby behind the passenger seat