Dilemma Time?

Silverback

Have had an interesting car history to date with cars like MR2, Impreza, RX8 and have enjoy good weekend driving and the occasional track day. I have my sensible hat on at the moment with a Seat Leon TDI.

I've only ever owned 1 car at a time and have used it for work, family and fun. I gave serious thought to a VX220 and last year came incredibly close to buying but had issues with my job that meant I couldn't go through with the deal.

What did convince me though is that I couldn't use the VX as an everyday car so...

Do I trade the Leon in and go for another exciting 'do it all' car like a 2006 (300bhp) 350Z or do I keep the Leon and use the funds to get an 'older' 53 or 04 plate VX220 turbo as a second car...

Relative costs of 'expensive to run 350Z vs having to tax, insure and maintain 2 cars...

Thoughts?

Thanks

:welcome: to the forum.

Opinions are divided as to whether the zed should be used as everyday transport or to use a hack and keep the zed for pleasure. I personally use mine everday on a 50 mile round trip on a mixture of country lanes, A roads and motorway and it averages around 24 mpg.

Depends on your needs. Personally I would have the VX220, as I've had a second car for track days and fun for sometime now. The VX220 will bring much more of a smile to your face than the Zed but of course isn;t as practical.

Thanks for the replies and welcomes to the forum :teeth: I could be around for awhile to come!

How do people rate the Zed for trackday fun? I am assuming it is incredibly entertaining but being pretty heavy I'd expect big wear on tyres and brakes (not to mention suspension)...

:welcome:

IMO, having taken both cars out on the track a couple of times, the Z is OK but it's not as fun as a VX. That said, I would rather eat a VX than do any serious mileage in one, it's a complete pain in the butt (literally) on the motorway, whereas the Z will eat long distances no problem, and still be massive of fun on the twisty stuff.

All in all if you're going to do track days regularly I'd get the VX, otherwise I'd get a ZED. :thumbs:

i have driven both (and currently dont own either, so that maybe makes me a bit less biased!?) i have a astravan for everyday, so the VX would be ideal for the weekends but i`m still going for the Z, its just got the whole package imho.

plus it is a physical impossibility to look even remotely cool gettin into or out of a VX!!! :blush::teeth:

If you haven't already driven both cars, start there.

It's quite possible the decision will be very easy after that.

The Zed is a brilliant car but it won't thrill you in the same way the VX220 Turbo would.

As this is a second car, primarily for fun and the odd track day, I would go for the VX220.

I'm a one car Z owner. I've done 36,000 miles in 20months and enjoyed every yard! I've done two track days, CAT driver training day plus 30 laps of Nurburgring.

Even standard brakes and tyres hold up well (my rear tyres lasted 20k, fronts 25k). Brakes (Brembo calipers) were worn out at 30k.

All I can say is :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

Vs the VX - all I can say is I'd rather drift a Z!!