Help advice........ Exhaust Middle section and back box required

trancematic

Hi all

Got a 350z 04 Plate Auto and on saturday morning i heard a bit of a blow when firing up the car,took it to this formula one place in tewkesbury and was told the middle section where it meets the back section had corroded and blown on the join,seems it had been patched up before by previous owners.

Was quoted £280 just for the middle section and was advised that the back section could also do with replacing as that was corroded at the join,price quoted for that was £490.

SO anyone on here in the know can give me some recommendations as to where to go here because those prices seem a little over the top if you ask me,guys at this formula one place said it would be cheaper to get someone to make me a S/S pipe than to use them.

I got know clue where to go apart from the usual high street places like etb,ats quick fit and the rest.

I have seen a few posts on here about exhaust systems but I'm still none the wiser .

I recently took a Japspeed K1 exhaust off my Z. My partner didn't like how loud it was!

I need o give it a bit of a clean, but midd section and rear cans availab for £80 plus postage.

Also have an original Y pipe in great condition available too.

Thanks CS for the reply and have PM you back,also thanks Wackosr for your response and your price seems very good,but if your girlfriend thought it was loud then I'm going to get the same feedback from mine and to be honest i don't like these noisy exhausts systems .

Thanks all the same.

Edited by trancematic

if you want standard then you can prob pick up a cheap one on the bay but you will only be looking to replace agin when that one goes.

as CS has said the Cobra system is worth a look as is the Scorpion system that i am sure CS does also otherwise Tarmac will be worth a shout

both the Cobra and Scorpion will be a bit louder than stock but are your cheapest option (buying new)

i have a scorpion and love the sound :D

I recently took a Japspeed K1 exhaust off my Z. My partner didn't like how loud it was!

I need o give it a bit of a clean, but midd section and rear cans availab for £80 plus postage.

Also have an original Y pipe in great condition available too.

Thats a very good price, normally these seem to be £150ish.

The noise is subjective. My K1 was incredibly loud and my girlfriend hated it!

Id definitely not bother with a stock Nissan replacement system unless you can get a 2nd hand one cheap. Id be looking at a scorpion or cobra system which seem to be good value for money.

Where abouts are you? Ive still got my stock system in the garage I need to sell at some point.

Im in Tewkesbury mate Gloucesstershire.

Are you telling me you have replaced a perfectly good stock system and want to sell it.

Ah, you are a bit far away from me, im in Cambridge area.

Basically I replaced my stock system with a K1, then sold the car. So still have a 20k miles old, 2007 HR exhaust system in the garage. When I get time I need to clean it up and advertise it.

Got the full system and cats in my garage. comes from my 05 roadster which has only done 19km. miles.Replaced above with the cobra and hks cats. great sound.84 db at 4000 rpm

pm me if interested. North Yorkshire.

Thanks guys for the help and advice and i will take stock and think about what i may or may not do,think I'm going to go with cougar if im honest as there price for what i want sounds pretty decent,add to the fact when i pm the guy he answered within seconds and that says a lot for me in this day and age.

Lost count how many times i have emailed companies only for them not to bother replying or getting in touch a week later.

Then we have the matter that the cougar exhaust is all Stainless so really its a no brainer .

Funds are tight at present and i just had a set of Michelin super sports all round so it will be March when i get this done,hopefully in the meantime the exhaust will hold out .

Edited by trancematic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First post! Been a member for about 18months, started out researching then bought my 57 313 coupe in Jan 2012.

I'm in exactly the same position as trancematic: Had an advisory for a pin hole in my Jan MOT then started blowing pretty badly this weekend. Having a look under I think it's the join between the centre pipe and back box too. It's really exposed and must get plastered with salt, it's rusty as hell.

Going to get it on a ramp this weekend and have a look, but presuming I need new bits I think the Cobra looks like the best option. Don't see the point in trying to repair a crappy mild steel oem join.

Does anyone have experience of the non-resonated vs resonated boxes? How does the sound change? Is non-resonated just louder?

I preferably don't want to increase noise too much over OEM, as I do a fair bit of motorway driving. What's the general opinion on how much louder the Cobra is?

Cheers

Edited by Dangergreg

This is a Non-resonated we supplied, it's loud, but I believe this has been fitted with High Flow Cats too - http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/67395-gave-my-zed-a-wash-rookie-photoshoot/ :)

Some of the resonated versions we have supplied can be heard here - http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/62513-a-big-thank-you-to-cs-video-uploaded-2912/ and http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/59396-new-cobra-exhaust-from-cs-now-fitted/ :)