Fuel Tank Sizes Im Confused ( again )

Jimbo

Guest prescience

Liam,

Do your Shell guys reckon residue comes from the fuel (by separation) or from reaction with the tank because that would be much less with plastic?

The reason that I never liked to run close to empty was the large volume of fuel vapour that was there in that state and since I didn't use the car much, I liked to keep it topped up :D

Guest prescience

one other point not noted above is that the Z's fuel and computer system is more sophisticated than at first sight.

The quantity of fuel left (as reported on the gauge) is done by detecting the level in the tank but the MPG/DTE computer figures are determined by measuring fuel pressure and injector time and knowing injector size. So in essence, they are independent.

This is the reason why when you switch to larger injectors it screws up your MPG reading since typically more fuel can flow and thus for a given pressure the injector time is less. The system does not know the injector size has changed and thus magically MPG appears to rise since it believes less fuel is being used !! You therefore always rely on the tank readout when using non-stock injectors

That’s a very good question Dorian, if I'm honest I don't know the correct answer, but can find out... It's not my department you see...

My guess would be the problem lies within say contaminated hoses, dirty discharge vessels... I have no idea how often pump petrol stations are actually serviced by the means of cleaning to remove any debris.