clutch bearing

flirt

Guest prescience
come on you tekkys, what is one as mine is going and can i cange it easily? makesa knocking sound when in neutral engine on. then when i push the clutch in, i t stops!!

Sounds pretty normal. A thrust or release bearing is something which pushes on a spring (the diaphragm spring) normally in the centre of that spring which causes the outer edges of the spring to pull the clutch plate away from the flywheel to disengage the drive

see here ...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm

Supposed to be one of the famous "z" problems, people have had loys of clutches changed under warrenty to find the noise come back after a few months. :thumbs:

Leave your clutch mate I expect there is nothing wrong with it, wait till it starts slipping till you change it. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Just back from Nissan. Noise has gotten so bad when hot or in traffic or stationary I had to take her in. Mechanic says thrust bearing is most likely stuffed. Sounds like bits are loose in there. Have to take her back in again next Friday for service and a closer examination.

I had my release bearing replaced twice by my garage (now ex garage) because of the noise it was making. I got seriously pee'd of with them because after each change they said 'it's sorted' and it was exactly the same.

I eventually ended up seeing Nissan Switzerlands head mechanic who during a test drive said he couldn't hear anything wrong. After he realised what I was talking about he nipped into their head office, took the keys of a brand new 06 model owned by someone there and took me for a drive..... same noise..... Couldn't really argue my case after that. It does appear to be normal.

He actually suggested I change garages if they didn't know this!!! He was however stumped when I asked him 'how the hell can I measure the oil level from the dipstick???' He tried to show me and was as clueless as me as to how much oil was in the engine! :) A cold engine seems to be the only way....

Unfortunately mine is so bad it's almost undriveable. The mechanic suspects the bearing is on its way out and there’s a piece moving in it. From the passenger seat he could hear it clearly whereas from the drivers side I couldn’t. I can hear it when driving out of my underground garage where the area leading to the gate is like an enclosed tunnel. So with the windows open it echoes. Changing gear when cold makes a loud audible clunk. Same when the engine is hot after about 30mins driving. It actually sounds like the gear box is being damaged when stationary with the clutch out. Short grinding and clunking sounds. It’s so bad I keep my foot on the clutch when stationary. Will know more after they investigate on Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Service cost me €208. Oil change seemed to take most of the noise away. Two mechanics went for lengthy test drive and could hear anything. Very strange. Was the same mechanic as before so he knew what to listen for. I can still hear some noises but not like before. I asked them to lubricate the drop linkage as it was bugging me and now it’s worse then before. Will have to go back. They said to drop round any time if I start hearing noises again. One bad point for the garage. I spoke to sales man about new Z and he was to call with prices for trade in. Never heard back.