Looking to buy a 350z, have question....

z350convert

You sum it up well. After 6 years plus with the Westfield in all kinds of weather I, quite suddenly, feel like a change to something with grunt and character but more useful for the longer journey. This 'summer' I have returned from my blats a bit tired, cold and deaf for about 24 hours or so. On one occasion with grass and branches sticking out all over the place having spun it backwards through a blokes hedge. After major heart surgery and reaching 66 I fancy a different kind of thrill if you see what I mean. In fact since I declared SORN on the car in Nov I haven't been near it. That's a first and it tells me something.

PS how often do you guys meet at The Grasshopper in Westerham? That's on my Sunday morning thrash route in the summer.

No need to tell you that the driving experience from the Westfield will be different but as much fun in its own way. The Zed for the most part isn't going to touch the Westfield in 0-60 stakes but the grunt, effort and sound of getting there will.

The Zed won't be as nimble as the Westfield as it is fundamentally a GT car, so you can't drive it with your arse hanging out in quite the same way. That being said, managing and accounting for the weight and GT set up when making 'progress' is a pleasurable challenge in itself, especially because the balance of the Zed is so good. For scooting out along decent A roads with a few challenges, twists and turns the Zed really is good fun and it's rewarding when you get the opportunity to drive it in those circumstances.

For a car with a keenness to 'get up and go' and a ratio of power, balance and poise which can be exploited to sublime proportions when driven well, when roads and conditions allow, its cracking value for money. I think its that final element which at the end is important. For the money you're looking to spend you will get a car that will have a character and will be a lot of fun to own and drive. Plus there's a great forum and social side as you can probably tell :)

Well I know. The view this chap expressed was well meaning I am sure but I can't understand it. This is the follow up note I got....

"The S2000 had no torque and not a true drivers car. It was too heavy, too cumbersome and too detached from the road. Looks great and at silly RPM, so silly speeds, it impressed, but just didn't feel as sharp as I feel it should.

A bit about me, raced go karts for ages, ran a go kart track in my last unit. Raced motorbikes from 15yrs old for 5 yrs and had gsxr 1000 Ducati 748 and a 916... As well as several others. But that's where I'm coming from. My road cars were a 1976 mini 1275 as a first car, had it 8 years and had pretty much every fast road component and twin webers that spat flames by the time it was stolen! Had many other cars at the same time including Alfa 156 GTA, MGBGT, MG Midget (which I loved and put several engines in and ended up with a MG Metro 1530cc turbo when I sold it). So my driving likes are raw components and feeling an organic part of the car.

I found the 350z a bit of a plastic toy to impress lady's and blokes down the pub. I didn't find the ride accurate and delicate enough... Basically same kinda story as the S2000. I borrowed my mums 1985 911 for a few months, that was amazing to drive. So I feel it is a personal preference. I feel everyone's choice in car will be different. In a few years I may want comfort, warmth and a smooth magic carpet style ride and buy a Jaguar.

I just think most people that sell a Westfield want another one..."

I still fancy a 350z

What a dog's breakfast of an opinion.

Firstly,what have motor bikes to do with cars?If he's had a million bikes how is this relevant to any car buying decision?

Minis are little budget rattle traps that were designed over 50 years ago...so again irrelevant

Metros were just a joke and the MGB was one of the worse handling and fastest rusting cars ever made.

A Westfield is just a poor man's Caterham,it may handle well, but it's light years in concept from a modern sports /GT car like a Z.

The guy has no experience of owning any thing like a Z so I fail to see how he even dares to express any sort of opinion about them.

I'll not go into the strength and weaknesses of the Z,but based on my previous ownership of the following I'll just say a good Z is a GREAT car...

TVR Tuscan 4.0

TVR Cerbera 4.5

Nissan 200SX

Toyota MR 2 mk2

Honda Prelude 2.2 v-tec

Mercedes SLK

Audi TT Quattro Sport

Etc,Etc.

P.S

I have actually owned all the above cars,I didn't have to " borrow any of them from my mum" :)

Was the Griffith a bit too powerful for you then?

No No, just a joke honest :surrender:

Thanks for the viewpoint. I think this chap is a bit extreme and anyway anyone who comes up with that kind of boasting and thinks it impresses to own a Metro or an MGB has 'issues'.

By the way, have you seen this on you tube.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edPmpur6gLs

Was the Griffith a bit too powerful for you then?

No No, just a joke honest :surrender:

Thanks for the viewpoint. I think this chap is a bit extreme and anyway anyone who comes up with that kind of boasting and thinks it impresses to own a Metro or an MGB has 'issues'.

By the way, have you seen this on you tube.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edPmpur6gLs

Actually,I'd consider a Griffith in the future,mainly because the old V8 engines don't have the reliability issues of the later engines...and I like the shape.

The Z has,in some ways,a bit of the character of a TVR...but unlikely to breakdown!!

• Like 1

Yes, my elder brother had one until recently and he liked it because he maintained it had the 'proper TVR engine'. Have to say though whenever we went out in it we always used to come back with a misfire. Mind you this is the man who bent all the pushrods in his TR one morning during a spirited drive, but we were young then. I drove the Griffith a couple of times but it was a bit brutal and hardcore for my taste and incredibly badly put together. Must say an older TVR has been on my list but I would favour the Z for a number if reasons.

You'll wake up with a smile on your face , when you climb in your smile will get that bit wider, you'll drive for a while and your jaw will be stretched to the limit and best of all this smile won't leave your face, even when you put it away for the evening. I've had standard sports cars before and also cars that have been stupidly tuned and i can say that without a shadow of doubt this has brought more smiles and grins than any other. Its compliant over rough roads (unless perhaps you're running 20" rims and coilovers, the engine has plenty of torque. The only thing that niggles me is that Nissan could have spent a little more time making use of the dead space behind the seats but all in all i can say that my next car will be a late 350 or a 370.

Happy driving and Welcome. :teeth:

Have looked over 5 cars now to get a feel of what to expect.

A couple of them have been a little noisy as clutch is released in neutral, just sitting with the car idling. Do they sometimes have a noisy thrust bearing?

Found out today, there is no cam belt to worry about every 3 or 4 years - well done Nissan.

What do you guys manage on fuel consumption around town with a light right foot and what would you get on open rural roads when you are having fun?

What are the pros and cons convertible v fast back please?

I told you I was going to be b nuisance!

Now here is a funny thing - member from my current club sent me this..."Swapping a Westfield for a 350z...

You'll regret it. I had a similar thought with a S2000. It lasted six weeks before it got sold and a westfield was in the garage. In 2004/2005 when the 350z just came out and reversing camera's were a great selling point I almost got one. But the Alfa 156 was a far better drive and much nicer car. Thanks to the depreciation of Alfa Romeo you'll probably get a lot of car for your money! Good luck with your decision, but hire a 350z for a weekend, it's like a Almera to drive!"

I can't comment yet because I have yet to drive one, hope to tomorrow, but you can!!!

Thanks

Did any Zs ever have reverse cameras? If you're considering a roadster but are undecided, go for it! While the road noise may be a little louder, so is the exhaust note and having the roof down in summer is awesome, I don't think I could ever go back to a tin top these days. While the Z may be a fairly heavy car, the handling and torque makes it feel a lot more agile than you'd expect.

Edited by HaydnH