Dodgy main dealer experience!

rabbitstew

Most of my friends & family bring me their cars for servicing & any mechanical repairs as they know im into that kind of thing. Anyway, a mate of mine has just bought a new second hand car and rather than bring it to me for a service like he normally does, he decided to take it to the local main dealer for that make of car (not a Nissan i add) and have them service it and give it the once over.

So he books in for a FULL service at a cost of £160.

They flag up that the brake pads are getting low at the same time and because they wanted £250 to replace them, he comes to me and asks if i can do it. No problem, I get some new pads for 11quid a set, and even after he`s bought me a drink, he saves a small fortune.

Anyway, whilst I had his car in my workshop, I thought id check the oil level and noticed it was black as the ace of spades. Strange I think, as its just been serviced. So, I then check the pollen filter and its also black and looks so old it must have been on the car for 3 years. I then check the air filter and thats also extremely dirty and theres leaves / straw and even a fag butt in the airbox! So, it looks like the main dealer didnt even open the bonnet on his car when they "serviced" it.

Ive heard of this sort of thing happening, but I was quite shocked that a main dealer would happily take £160 off someone and not even open the bonnet on the car. Makes you wonder how many other times they have done this on customers cars. My mates livid about it and is going to have a word with the dealer this morning and in the future he`ll stick with having me service his cars as at least he knows its been done properly!

I for one will certainly be marking my air filter etc.. when I take my new beemer in for its first service now after seeing this!

Anyone else had any experiences like this?!

Edited by rabbitstew

Never personally, but it's not unheard of. Not impossible the vehicle got 'missed' on the day in the workshop, and that the folks on the counter just stamped it up and charged it anyway, but that's still no excuse. I'd be livid.

I always check my oil after someone's serviced it, regardless of who they are. Just in case...

Crystals of Grantham did it to a 18 month old Nissan Pathfinder Adventura I got from them 4 years ago.

I did a write up of it earlier.

Oil was black, fuel and oil filter was OEM from the factory in Japan.

The coolant was well under the recomended level.

Take into acount that the front nearside wheel was well below the legal limit and the spare had wire sticking out, then add torn wiper blades, you may understand why i added them to the bad boys list?

Well my mate went back to the main dealer and the service manager treated him like something he had stepped in. The guy said the service he had booked didnt actually include the air filter, even though the receptionist had told my mate it did. That was classed as an extra, he said the oil had been changed even tho it was black and admitted that the pollen filter hadnt been done and so they changed that there & then for them. That was it. No compensation or apology or anything.

Apparently the guy was quite rude and even pointed out how old my mates car was as if that had any relevance to it.

So, having no joy there, I suggested my mate emailed a complaint to the companies complaint department. He did this, they spoke to the dealership and immediately offered my mate £40 compensation for the hassle.

So my mates quite pleased with this, we still dont know if the oil was actually changed, but a new air filter is only £5 on ebay incl delivery and that leaves him with some money towards his next service with me.