Awaits derision - 17" wheels and tyres for next summer

NeilMH

I've tried the standard 18s and the Rays with Bridgestone RE050As.

However, despite being heavier than the Rays I much prefer the whole feel of the 17 JDMs and with the winter tyres on :wacko:

So.. that got me thinking about 17s and softer tyres....so

I have acquired another set of very cheap JDM 17s and am going to try Avon ZZ3s. I have always had a leaning towards Avons from past cars - yes I know they are soft, I know the wear rate will be bad, I know the Z is a heavy car and I know some people say they are not that clever....but... in the past I have always liked the feel of them and the high levels of predictability and I want the better bump absorption afforded by the higher profile tyres. I even quite like the look of them on the 17s - how sad is that :headhurt::blush:

I will report back when they go on the car in the spring... not that I think there will be a queue of people going down this route :lol:

I've kept the Rays etc..just in case I have barked up the wrong tree.

Neil knowing your car history if you prefer the car with those 'big heavy' 17's on then fair enough :thumbs:

If we all liked the same things it would be a boring place...

The only thing is I might put my back out - I will do Pilates throughout the winter in preparation :)

Neil knowing your car history if you prefer the car with those 'big heavy' 17's on then fair enough :thumbs:

If we all liked the same things it would be a boring place...

The only thing is I might put my back out - I will do Pilates throughout the winter in preparation :)

:console:

But a good excuse to go to a massage parlour ;)

Re050's are a very hard tyre also. Maybe try rays with the likes of pilot supersports or something. I'm pretty sure you will this a much more pleasant drive and experience also.

I'm sure you are right Neil....I'll see how I get on and if necessary pursue the ultimate option (Rays/MPSS). I ran out of budget this year and the 17s with nearly new tyres on only cost me £165...so it seems worth a try.

Re050's are a very hard tyre also. Maybe try rays with the likes of pilot supersports or something. I'm pretty sure you will this a much more pleasant drive and experience also.

I'm sure you are right Neil....I'll see how I get on and if necessary pursue the ultimate option (Rays/MPSS). I ran out of budget this year and the 17s with nearly new tyres on only cost me £165...so it seems worth a try.

yeah it all down to how you like the car at the end of the day. For me I've never tried 17's but the oem 18's felt terrible on her, but saying that it was with re040's on them. Personally my favourite wheels are the 19" nismo's for road. They feel almost the exact same as the 18" rays. On track though I like the little bit of roll the 40 profile on the r888's gives. Its a little bit of give before the tyres let go lol.

At the end of the day its all down to personal preference and budget. I have cheaper tyres on my road wheels and i've been very impressed with them. I did months of research on other forums and found great reviews so went with them. I actually find them better than the re050a's and the p-zero rosso's I had which were double the price.

Hope you get it all sorted out though and find a happy set up. :thumbs: